Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mike Mussina - 6 Jerseys hanging...........

After suffering through another Yankees loss on Sunday, I was watching the post game interviews and during the interview with Mussina, I noticed at least 6 pinstripe jerseys hanging in the locker behind him - that's right, 6 pinstripe jerseys. Here's a pitcher who starts every 5th day and it just shows you how many jerseys the current day players are going through. I would love to see how they were all tagged.

During the game, I witnessed a first for me to see - Torre was booed after making a pitching change during the game.........it's not looking good Yankees fans............

Jim

Re: Mike Mussina - 6 Jerseys hanging...........

I think the Yankees should join the rest of the MLB and add some white black alternates, and maybe a vest to their wardrobe. It'll add nice variety for Yankee collectors and a nice pinstripe vest with the interlocking N and Y would look really spiffy!

David

Jim, I noticed the same thing, and that's not counting the one in the hamper from use that day.
    I would also think that Steiner probably has a couple, And it's only May!!!

George

Jim,

Very interesting stuff. This would explain why so many of the Steiner game used Yankees jerseys show very light use. I don't understand, though, why they would need to have 6 extra home jerseys in his locker. What point is there to that?

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Im sure they will all fetch top dollar also...

Guys, when i worked in the clubhouse it was a common thing for a pitcher to rotate jerseys throughout the game because of sweat. Some guys would have me run thier jersey up to put it in the dryer and they would swithch every inning rotating between two. Roger Clemens would wear a different jersey and a different hat every innning in his last couple years with the Yankees. Position players really never did this but every now and then you might see a guy put on his back up.

This is very interesting. I purchased a Steiner Mussina pinstripe jersey and the wear is similar to the Giambi and Randy Johnson jerseys I also own- very light. The Giambi is described as from the Yankees road opening series of 2006 and the Johnson is from the home opening series of 2006 and is photomatched.

The other recent Yankee jerseys in my collection display far more wear. Among them is a 2003 road Clemens and a 2006 road Sheffield, which are very well worn. I also saw a Steiner Giambi that is on Grey Flannel's website that has awesome use to it.

I imagine it's a very inexact science that's based entirely on the preferences of the player. Player comfort, as well as superstitions are probably big factors in determining the extent that a player wears a given jersey. I wish Steiner tracked the games/innings that the players used the jerseys they sell. MeiGray has such an amazing game tracking system and I'm surprised that more companies don't follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    This is very interesting. I purchased a Steiner Mussina pinstripe jersey and the wear is similar to the Giambi and Randy Johnson jerseys I also own- very light. The Giambi is described as from the Yankees road opening series of 2006 and the Johnson is from the home opening series of 2006 and is photomatched.

The other recent Yankee jerseys in my collection display far more wear. Among them is a 2003 road Clemens and a 2006 road Sheffield, which are very well worn. I also saw a Steiner Giambi that is on Grey Flannel's website that has awesome use to it.

I imagine it's a very inexact science that's based entirely on the preferences of the player. Player comfort, as well as superstitions are probably big factors in determining the extent that a player wears a given jersey. I wish Steiner tracked the games/innings that the players used the jerseys they sell. MeiGray has such an amazing game tracking system and I'm surprised that more companies don't follow suit.
    Reed,

I highlighted the sections of your post above so that you would know the specific statements to which I'm responding. As to your Mussina, Big Unit, and Giambi jerseys, I'd say that the vast majority of the game used Yankees jerseys from Steiner that I've seen have had very light use. If players are using 6-7 jerseys a game, as CarleVV says, this would explain the exceptionally light use, of course - especially if they get a new set of 6-7 jerseys for each game. Seems like a lot to me, but I guess anything is possible. This certainly isn't how it used to work in the old days (ahhh, the old days).

As to tracking systems, there was a thread on GUF several months back in which some Steiner fanatics tried to convince me that Steiner's tracking system was superior to MeiGray's. Well, I wasn't a buyer then, and I'm not a buyer now (in fact, I didn't find their arguments to be at all persuasive). I agree with you entirely that MeiGray's tracking system is FAR SUPERIOR and I also share your surprise that more companies/entities have not followed their lead. I would love to see MeiGray become the exclusive dealer for MLB (please note that I don't have a lick of financial interest in MeiGray whatsoever).

Best,
    Reid

P.S. Congrats on photomatching your Big Unit jersey - even if the jersey shows very light use, your photomatch means that it is REAL, which is a great feeling, especially when you are considering a jersey that does not look all that worn.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

What kind of tracking system does Steiner have. I'm not familiar with it. I assumed they just put their holograms on them. Do the holograms have numbers or codes on them that you can go to their website and get a little bit of info about the piece?

I didnt say guys wore 6 or 7 jerseys a game and get a new set of 6 or 7 the next game. I said pitchers sometimes change jerseys every inning because they dont like to pitch in a sweaty heavy jersey. Guys usually only wear two home jerseys and two road jerseys a year. If you guys want ill find out how many jersey's the Yankees will go through this year. Im friends with the home and visiting clubhouse managers.