Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

MEARS Grading????

I saw this auction on Ebay and the COA is from MEARS which states "authentic".....what does that mean??? I thought their scale for grading game used items was from A1-A10....am I missing something here???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4968&rd=1&rd=1

Re: MEARS Grading????

I think their 1-10 numerical grading is only for bats and jerseys. They don't receive enough submissions of cleats, fielding gloves, hats, etc., for them to devise respective 10-point grading scales. This is what Dave Bushing explained to me a couple of years ago. Hope this helps,

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

That is correct. For game used caps, shoes and such they give only a grade of 'Authentic.'

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That is correct. For game used caps, shoes and such they give only a grade of 'Authentic.'
    Personally, I feel that is a waste of several hundred dollars to have an item deemed "authentic".....I can do that myself....

I agree with you in that the 1-10 system shows us that there are "different grades" of authentic, at least in the authenticators' minds. An 'authentic' only grade does make one wonder where along the proverbial 1-10 it lays.

Of course with an 'authentic' cap or shoes it would be nice to also have documented provenance. However, if you read the MEARS LOA it notes that the shoes have labels that appear on only on player-issued shoes, and there are pictures from the game.