Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

I thought of a couple other stories along the lines of a player wanting his own item.

About ten years ago, UCLA conducted a sale with game used equipment items in February before one of their home basketball games. The football season obviously ends in January latest for college teams. One of the better senior football players who had completed his eligibility was in the sales tent with his parents. I happened to see his jersey in one of the sales piles for $50.00, and picked it up along with several others I wanted to purchase. Within a few minutes, I heard him saying something about looking for and not being able to find his own jerseys as he was standing near me. Of course, I turned to him told him I had it in my stack of items selected for purchase, and he could have it if he wanted. He was very excited about this turn of events. He had graciously signed other items for me earlier in his UCLA career, and I knew the jersey meant something to him because he was there looking for it.

Twenty years ago, another UCLA senior football player who had finished his eligibility sold me his Rose Bowl and Pac 10 championship ring, along with a game used jersey since the school gave him four of his jerseys. Like many college kids, he needed the money at the time. About 15 years later, I heard through a mutual acquaintance that he had established himself in the business world and wanted the ring. I never pursued this any more since this ring is a great item that I want to keep, and still have the ring in my collection.

Tom Duino

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Thought I'd bump this one since it has been years since it was last added to. Anyone have any good stories regarding players making an offer to buy back their old stuff from you, the collector?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com