Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net
Haney actually ended up dealing with me, as well. It was 1994 spring training, and my wife and I attended the Royals home opener (against UCF) in which Haney, coming off surgery, was to pitch the first two innings.

I had an Expos game jersey of his that I brought along. I showed it to him, and he definitely was interested. We worked out a trade, in which he would give me the jersey he was wearing (BP style with NOB) after he was done pitching. I agreed, gave him the Expos piece, and, sure enough, about the 5th inning, teammate Dave Henderson comes out and tosses me Haney's shirt from that day.

Dave Miedema