Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave

Banned

Ericdavisfan can you email me admin@gameuseddirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis44fan View Post
    Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave
    Good stuff. Next time you see him, tell him to come by the forum.
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Last year I traded Ed Hearn's wife the jersey that he wore on the field for the 86 Mets reunion ceremony which I had won in the MLB auction for the unworn jersey the Mets sent him home with.

A couple of years ago when I showed Gary Carter and his agent Mead Chasky a photo of the 4 milestone bats I own, Mead game me his card because he wanted to see if I'd like sell them back to him. I offered to trade a game used jersey for one of the bats but he declined.

David

David-

I found an article about your collection including the 4 Carter bats you mentioned above. Good stuff!

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backis...ollector.chtml

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Thanks Eric!

Glad you enjoyed the article.

-David

Awesome article....

I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.