Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EricDavis44fan
    • Apr 2007

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

Ericdavisfan can you email me admin@gameuseddirect.com

Comment

• Oct 2005

I thought of a couple other stories along the lines of a player wanting his own item.

About ten years ago, UCLA conducted a sale with game used equipment items in February before one of their home basketball games. The football season obviously ends in January latest for college teams. One of the better senior football players who had completed his eligibility was in the sales tent with his parents. I happened to see his jersey in one of the sales piles for $50.00, and picked it up along with several others I wanted to purchase. Within a few minutes, I heard him saying something about looking for and not being able to find his own jerseys as he was standing near me. Of course, I turned to him told him I had it in my stack of items selected for purchase, and he could have it if he wanted. He was very excited about this turn of events. He had graciously signed other items for me earlier in his UCLA career, and I knew the jersey meant something to him because he was there looking for it.

Twenty years ago, another UCLA senior football player who had finished his eligibility sold me his Rose Bowl and Pac 10 championship ring, along with a game used jersey since the school gave him four of his jerseys. Like many college kids, he needed the money at the time. About 15 years later, I heard through a mutual acquaintance that he had established himself in the business world and wanted the ring. I never pursued this any more since this ring is a great item that I want to keep, and still have the ring in my collection.

Tom Duino

Comment

• Eric
          • Jan 1970

Originally posted by EricDavis44fan
          Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave
          Good stuff. Next time you see him, tell him to come by the forum.
          Eric
          Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

Last year I traded Ed Hearn's wife the jersey that he wore on the field for the 86 Mets reunion ceremony which I had won in the MLB auction for the unworn jersey the Mets sent him home with.

A couple of years ago when I showed Gary Carter and his agent Mead Chasky a photo of the 4 milestone bats I own, Mead game me his card because he wanted to see if I'd like sell them back to him. I offered to trade a game used jersey for one of the bats but he declined.

David
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jan 1970

David-

I found an article about your collection including the 4 Carter bats you mentioned above. Good stuff!

Eric
              Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

Thanks Eric!

Glad you enjoyed the article.

-David
                metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• dcrules01
                  • Nov 2005

Awesome article....
                  Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• B1SON
                    • May 2007

I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.
                    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
                    sigpic

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Comment

• sportscentury
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by B1SON
                      I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.
                      B1SON,

That's a great story. If you wouldn't mind, please email me at rgf2@hotmail.com - I'd love to hear about your Duke Blue Devils collection!

Best,
                      Reid
                      Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                        • Apr 2007

I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
                          I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.
                          I bet it's the last time that collector brings his daughter to a show with him.
                          "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• TNTtoys
                            • Aug 2006

Thought I'd bump this one since it has been years since it was last added to. Anyone have any good stories regarding players making an offer to buy back their old stuff from you, the collector?
                            Looking for ...
                            Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                            Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                            Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                              While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
                              hblakewolf@patmedia.net
                              Haney actually ended up dealing with me, as well. It was 1994 spring training, and my wife and I attended the Royals home opener (against UCF) in which Haney, coming off surgery, was to pitch the first two innings.

I had an Expos game jersey of his that I brought along. I showed it to him, and he definitely was interested. We worked out a trade, in which he would give me the jersey he was wearing (BP style with NOB) after he was done pitching. I agreed, gave him the Expos piece, and, sure enough, about the 5th inning, teammate Dave Henderson comes out and tosses me Haney's shirt from that day.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Christ0pher
                                • Apr 2013

Great thread guys! I was wondering would you make a trade even if the piece you were getting in return was worth way less than what you were trading? Does getting the piece directly(sometimes right off their back) from the player make it way more valuable to you personally therefore it doesn't really matter?

Comment

Working...