Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

Shows nice runway use and exhibits a subtle hint of Calvin Klein's Obsession For Men.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Shows nice runway use and exhibits a subtle hint of Calvin Klein's Obsession For Men.

Thats not even the worst.... on the frontpage they have a frigin video of when the 2 owners were in teh music video business...its from like 1985...

talk about hangin on to something that left, when WHAM did...

No one should be wearing them. Man, woman or child.

-Jason M

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    No one should be wearing them... It compromises the pieces.
    LOL. ..That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised...Did you ever try on a helmet or jersey in your collection? I know some hockey fans that wear their player game worn jerseys to games. Do you think that collector's have never slipped on the jersey of their favorite player after adding it to their collection, or tried on the game used baseball glove, or the batting helmet, or batting glove they just bought of their favorite player? I think what they did was silly, but it certainly doesn't make the item less authentic or add wear.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    LOL. ..That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised...Did you ever try on a helmet or jersey in your collection? I know some hockey fans that wear their player game worn jerseys to games. Do you think that collector's have never slipped on the jersey of their favorite player after adding it to their collection, or tried on the game used baseball glove, or the batting helmet, or batting glove they just bought of their favorite player? I think what they did was silly, but it certainly doesn't make the item less authentic or add wear.....

Dave
    You're talking about two different things. If you went into a store that had the workers wearing the game used items they were selling, you might not be very happy with it.

Putting this stuff on for a photo shoot is a bizarre business decision. What exactly is the upside here? Is the sports collectibles target audience (the cross section of people you would see at a memorabilia show) going to look at that model guy and say "He looks really good in that piece, maybe I should buy it"

Dave, if you choose to put your hand in a glove in your collection, that is one thing. AMI decided it would be a good marketing strategy to hire models to wear the items being auctioned. That wouldn't have been my decision, but hey, it's not my company to run.

And Dave, what exactly did you mean by "That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised." I'd love to hear what your explanation is.
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Also, I would like to point out that there are collectors who buy inexpensive game worn shirts to wear around. If that's what they want to do, that is their choice. I would hope if they then re-sold the item, they would mention that the used came from the consumer and not the player.

Back to AMI, it is such a bizarre thing to see four figure items clearly being shown having use added to them by people other than the players.

Is that an overreaction Dave?
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Eric,

I see no upside at all. Only downside as this thread clearly proves. I'm simply stating that to sat they are compromised is very strong wording. That means every time any game used equipment is tried on by someone other than the player it is compromised? Is it a stupid business idea by AMI? yes. Does it make the piece any less authentic? No (in my opinion). I've carefully tried on jerseys that I've bought of players, as have some of my friends. Did I compromise the item? In my opinion, No..

Regards,
    Dave

Eric,

I'm not commenting on this thread again. It's already turning into another pissing match....

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I'm not commenting on this thread again. It's already turning into another pissing match....
    Hmmm, I wonder how that could've happened...
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

This isn't about a collector trying on a jersey. This is about a pathetic attempt of a sports memorabilia auction catalog trying to front like a psuedo-hip-poser fashion magazine. There are grown-folks who read the catalog and don't want to be force-fed this nonsense. Want to target an audience and widen your demographic? Then, AMI should quit the memorabilia racket and publish Maxim-type fish-wraps for 20-year-olds. Put the jersey on a mannequin and move on.

Skanks for the memories!