Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Be careful: Bo Jackson bat on ebay

Here is a Bo bat being sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bo-Jackson-game-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the Bo bat being purchase on ebay by the seller a couple weeks prior.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300115594708

The original listing makes no mention of the bat being game used other than some handwritten note on a typed LOA from a sports marketing company. Notice the seller makes no metion of this LOA is the current listing.

I emailed the seller asking how he knew it was game used. No response.

Remember, this is the exact model sold by Anaconda Kaye.

Bryan
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Re: Be careful: Bo Jackson bat on ebay

Hi, Bryan -

I think the seller is a GUF member, so perhaps he will respond to your post. Thanks for posting.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I can't stand people pulling this type crap. It's killing the hobby!

While I totally respect the opinions of the previous posting members, how do we really know that an injustice has even happened? It isn't like the physical characteristics of the bat have changed (that we know of).

So far, the only change is in the description. By looking at the previous auction it appears the bat already has pinetar on the handle. While this trait alone isn't indicitave of game use, there could very well be stitch or ball marks on the barrel that simply aren't visible in the auction photos.

Even if the bat does have ball or stitch marks and pinetar on the handle we still don't know for sure that the bat is or isn't an A-K bat or is a legit LS gamer as the listings make no mention of lengths or weights...and even then we might not know.

All I'm really saying is that unless it was an obvious case of "doctoring" or of some other reprehensible act I really don't see why this seller is being strung up to hang for something that people do a lot.

I think the original listing was simply made by someone that didn't have a lot of knowledge of bats. They listed it as an autographed bat, albeit one that appears to show game use, but made no mention of that. The purchaser (and current seller) simply evaluated the markings and any use characteristics present and is reselling it. If it does show legitimate game use then what are they doing wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Quote Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
    While I totally respect the opinions of the previous posting members, how do we really know that an injustice has even happened? It isn't like the physical characteristics of the bat have changed (that we know of).

So far, the only change is in the description. By looking at the previous auction it appears the bat already has pinetar on the handle. While this trait alone isn't indicitave of game use, there could very well be stitch or ball marks on the barrel that simply aren't visible in the auction photos.

Even if the bat does have ball or stitch marks and pinetar on the handle we still don't know for sure that the bat is or isn't an A-K bat or is a legit LS gamer as the listings make no mention of lengths or weights...and even then we might not know.

All I'm really saying is that unless it was an obvious case of "doctoring" or of some other reprehensible act I really don't see why this seller is being strung up to hang for something that people do a lot.

I think the original listing was simply made by someone that didn't have a lot of knowledge of bats. They listed it as an autographed bat, albeit one that appears to show game use, but made no mention of that. The purchaser (and current seller) simply evaluated the markings and any use characteristics present and is reselling it. If it does show legitimate game use then what are they doing wrong?
    With all that said, bottom line for me is how can the seller state "Bo Jackson game used bat. Game used and autographed by the greatest athlete to walk the planet."

Be realistic. What proof does the seller have to state "game used by Bo Jackson?" None! Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

To me, that's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    With all that said, bottom line for me is how can the seller state "Bo Jackson game used bat. Game used and autographed by the greatest athlete to walk the planet."

Be realistic. What proof does the seller have to state "game used by Bo Jackson?" None! Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

Tony, unless you have a dead-on photo match, what proof does anyone have that any of what they own was actually used by a specific player? No offense, but that's just sort of a ridiculous statement. I'm with Tim here that, on the surface, it doesn't appear as if the buyer/seller did anything wrong. eBay's full of bozos, some of whom knowingly sell fake crap, and others who have no idea what they have. I once bought something on eBay for $200. It was advertised as something that was used by one player. I later realized that it was used by someone else....and later sold the same item for over $4,000 through a major auction house. You may say apples to oranges here, but the point is, if you're a savvy and educated collector, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on things like poorly described auctions, etc. I don't know if the Jackson bat is an Anaconda Kaye. If it is, I guess this whole conversation changes.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

Tony,
    Honestly you just described about 75% of the transactions on ebay. I'm talking about evaluating USE CHARACTERISTICS. Has either auction shown a picture of the knob? Maybe the buyer has seen the knob and has compared known Bo Jackson knob markings with this one.

It is absolutely ridiculous to call something bad without proof. It's about evaluating all available information and then making a decision.

Based on what you are saying each and every bat sold on ebay must be bad just because we didn't personally witness the use. Do you honestly believe this is true?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post
    eBay's full of bozos, some of whom knowingly sell fake crap, and others who have no idea what they have...if you're a savvy and educated collector, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on things like poorly described auctions, etc.
    Exactly! Well said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Quote Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
    Tony,
    Honestly you just described about 75% of the transactions on ebay. I'm talking about evaluating USE CHARACTERISTICS. Has either auction shown a picture of the knob? Maybe the buyer has seen the knob and has compared known Bo Jackson knob markings with this one.

It is absolutely ridiculous to call something bad without proof. It's about evaluating all available information and then making a decision.

Based on what you are saying each and every bat sold on ebay must be bad just because we didn't personally witness the use. Do you honestly believe this is true?
    My only point is, to buy a bat the way he did, then turn around and state game used, is wrong. Yes, I realize this happens daily.

With that I said, I agree with what you're saying.

My only point is, to buy a bat the way he did, then turn around and state game used, is wrong. Yes, I realize this happens daily.

With that I said, I agree with what you're saying.
    Tony, you're implying that you know for sure that this bat was not used. How is that different from your argument against those who claim beyond doubt that something was used? What if the bat was used when he got it? We've all the seen the same pictures. Seems to me that, unless there's something about Anaconda bats that differ from the real ones, it would be better to look at more pics before rendering an opinion. Maybe a Jackson or bat expert could chime in here with some better info. People describe their ebay auctions poorly every single day. As a buyer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking advantage of this. There's plenty of bad stuff out there, but some of us appear too eager to damn the hobby and want to be the first to call something fake without taking the time to do a little research.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."