Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RyanZimmerman11

Re: A question for EVERY single member of this forum

Here's something...

I thought of this as a response to Jon saying we are all collectors..etc

Yes, I agree...collector-to-collector transactions....it should be expected that the jersey you're buying was more than likely worn/tried on.

But when buying from an auction house, any auction house, non of us should expect that their employees are running around the stock room trying stuff on, jousting with bats and God knows what else they do for kicks.

Jay

i'll also use common sense and caution. i'm not going to put on a size 42 jersey that i could possibly stretch out. i've only put on a couple of my jerseys and simply stood in them for a couple of minutes.

jim yackel has repeatedly made known that he has a big issue with people buying gamers and regularly wearing them. i agree with him. it's one thing if every seller admitted they had worn the jersey for years, but most don't. you see pilling on a jersey and think it's from a player when it's really from a couple years worth of some guy rolling around on his sofa. or from a couple of auction house clowns acting like 3 yr olds.

"I guess i just think of all my items being swung and/or tried on and the fact that everyone else probably does the same.These items are sold collector to collector so i guess we can expect a reasonable amount of these items to be worn/swung by others."

jon, yes but you don't do it with other people's items that you don't even own. if i worked for an auction house, and handled other peoples items, then what i do with my own items has no bearing on how i should treat theirs. you can treat your own things any way you like but when you're entrusted with someone else's items then there's only one way to do it: with the utmost of care. if i feel like acting like an idiot then i can go home and do it with my own items, right?
    johnny crow and giese didn't own those items. even if they're the sort of people who love to wear their own gamers around all the time, what on earth made them think it was ok to do that with other people's items and without their consent?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanZimmerman11 View Post
    That's a shame, I thought there we other honest people out there Joking aside, I'm far from new in the overall hobby of sports cards and memorabilia. I've seen some lowlife actions..such as overhearing a deal at a failry large and recognizable show telling his buddy how he removes autos from mulitsigned balls so that they sell more as single signed balls....despicable.
    There is a service that advertises in Sport Collectors Digest that will have signatures removed for a fee ....Their Moto " Turn Foul balls into Home Runs" ..and they picture a Clemente signed ball , before and after !

Coin collectors can submit their coins to a conservator service to be "cleaned" (they call it conserving a coin when they do it). Owned by one of the grading companies , that's pretty convenient ! Clean your coin yourself and they will reject it . Won't even slab your coin nor assign it a grade . They return to you in a "body bag", but you are still charged the fee . If you know about coins , one big rule is . Do NOT clean or touch the surface of the coin. Leave it in it's original condition .

That rule kind of applies to our hobby and kind of does not . You don't want to touch your signed baseballs .

But as far as the game used items , as long as you do not harm the item or alter the original surfaces, it should not matter if you have touched, swung or worn or even caught a few balls with it ....

Amen camarokids!

I've swung some of my bats, tried on and even worn one my game-used jerseys to a game(a common player of course and no ice cream was spilt on it - maybe a little beer) but that's what makes collecting fun. If you are collecting just so that your item is going to be worth big bucks in the future and you have your jerseys and bats in air-free sterilized glass sealed containers then you're missing the point of collecting.

The fun of collecting for me is showing others something special. Especially, say baseball fans that aren't collectors. They want to feel the bat in their hands because they've never seen or touched a real MLB bat. They want to feel the fabric on a game-used jersey. I'm not going to let them try the jersey on and where it around the house or out in the backyard as we play a little backyard baseball with the game-used Nolan Ryan glove, the game-used uncracked Hank Aaron bat, and the Sandy Koufax no-hitter game ball, but enjoying the hobby with others is what it is about for me.

And by the way, the "bow chicky bow wow" made me laugh out load.

I've actually never worn or used anything in my collection. I've held some bats before as if I were in a stance but I never swung it. And I never wore any of the jerseys I own neither.

Kyle,

If one of your buddies comes over and wants to feel how your Griffey Jr feels on his head would you let him? You're telling me you never slipped it on your head, since the day you got it.

Your Griffey Jr helent, I mean

helmet - duh!!!

RyanZimmerman11

As of right now, I own 0 pieces of game used equipment and/or jerseys.

But I will say right now, that the second I do own a GU jersey...I'm tryin' that bad boy on lol

Like it's been said (and is immortalized in my sig lol)...it's mine, I paid for it

Would I let anyone else put on one of my GU jerseys? Not in this lifetime. The could "maybe" feel the material...but that's it.

Besides, I plan on having my jerseys framed and hung...once I find the ones I am looking for and buy them

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post
    Kyle,

If one of your buddies comes over and wants to feel how your Griffey Jr feels on his head would you let him? You're telling me you never slipped it on your head, since the day you got it.

They ask me all the time. Even not too long ago my friend wanted some new pictures for myspace and he wanted to wear my Andruw Jones TBTC hat and Brian Jordan home jersey, and I ofcoarse said no. I never once slipped on anything, even the helmet. It's been in my case since I first got it (except for when I brought it to a show to get appraised)