Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

5 GU Questions with Steve Atwater!

Steve Atwater played in 11 seasons (10 for the Denver Broncos 1 with the New York Jets), was named to the Pro Bowl 8 times and won 2 championships. He is a member of the Broncos Ring Of Fame.

This hard-hitting safety was nice enough to be the first athlete to participate in 5 Game Used Questions. Here goes.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Game Used Questions with Steve Atwater

Q1: What game used items have you saved from your career?

Steve Atwater: I saved most of my Pro Bowl jerseys and pants, and my Super Bowl XXXII and Super Bowl XXIII Jerseys

Q2: What's your favorite uniform design?

Steve Atwater: The Broncos changed the uniforms in 1997 and we went on to win SB XXXII that year. Those were the coolest uniforms in the league in my opinion. Those uniforms had all the changes I would have made!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q3: What do you think about the Steve Atwater game used items you see for sale on ebay or in auction houses? Are they the real thing?

Steve Atwater: I doubt most of it is real. Unless I personally autographed it, I would be a skeptical buyer
    Q4: What 3 items- any player, any era, and money is no object would you have in your game used collection?

Steve Atwater: Michael Jordan Championship Jersey & Shorts, Bo Jackson Jersey, Ronnie Lott Jersey

Q5: What do you think about the game used hobby as a whole?

Steve Atwater: I think the game used hobby is an awesome hobby - only if the game used gear is authentic. A sports item would mean more to me if I knew it was actually worn by the athlete.

Ok, that's the first 5GU Questions. No one got hurt. More of these to come....
    Eric
    (Big thanks to the forum friend who contacted Steve on our behalf.)
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: 5 GU Questions with Steve Atwater!

Outstanding thread! We need more of these!

RyanZimmerman11

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Outstanding thread! We need more of these!
    I agree That was pretty cool.

For what it's worth, here are some game used Steve Atwater pieces that are for sale or have sold

http://www.networkradio.com/nationsports/football.html
    Game Used Denver Broncos Home Steve Atwater Jersey. This jersey from the 7 time Pro Bowl player show incredible wear with several team repairs on the shoulders and heavy marking. Jersey is from the 1995 season
    Price = $2400

American Memorabilia
    Auction Closed: 06/17/2004
    Sold for $864
    http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=7217

Ebay

Steve Atwater Game Used Broncos Jersey
    Sold for $178.49
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Steve-Atwater-Game-Used-Broncos-Jersey_W0QQitemZ150123696913QQihZ005QQcategoryZ868 29QQcmdZViewItem

Denver Broncos Game Worn Pants Signed Steve Atwater
    Sold for $110.39
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Denver-Broncos-Game-Worn-Pants-Signed-Steve-Atwater_W0QQitemZ180119985597QQihZ008QQcategoryZ86 829QQcmdZViewItem

DENVER BRONCOS GAME USED JERSEY STEVE ATWATER
    Sold for $73
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DENVER-BRONCOS-GAME-USED-JERSEY-STEVE-ATWATER_W0QQitemZ180126727011QQihZ008QQcategoryZ24 955QQcmdZViewItem

DENVER BRONCOS GAME USED JERSEY STEVE ATWATER
    Sold for $69.00
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DENVER-BRONCOS-GAME-USED-JERSEY-STEVE-ATWATER_W0QQitemZ330120018568QQihZ014QQcategoryZ24 955QQcmdZViewItem

I liked the brief interview. It's almost like Steve visited the board personally.

What a great new concept for the Forum and, on a personal note, Atwater is one of my all-time favorites on my all-time favorite team, the Denver Broncos. Now for some amazing timing. I bought the basement bargain Atwater jersey pictured in Eric's post below ($178 bucks on ebay). Thanks to Pat Scoggin and his first-rate Endzone webpage, I knew that, if legit, the jersey could only be from the 1992 season. Well today, I was able to photomatch the jersey to the below photo of Atwater tackling KC Chiefs Barry Word on October 4, 1992. While the jersey has more wear than the point that the photo was taken, you can clearly match two side-by-side tears on one shoulder, a distinct mark on one shoulder numeral, several loose threads on nameplate and, in places, it even appears that the mesh holes on the jersey match up with the location of the mesh holes in the photo. So, if that ain't enough, like most Broncos fans, I actually remember this game. Why? Well, that was a signature Elway comeback game. SI rated it as the number 2 of all Elway's comebacks (after "the Drive" against Browns in AFC Title game). As described the 2/10/99 SI issue:
    - # 2 - Sports Illustrated Greatest Elway Comebacks (Issue 2/10/99)
    OCTOBER 4, 1992
    MILE HIGH STADIUM
    DENVER 20, KANSAS CITY 19

It happened to Schottenheimer again. Actually, it happened to him seven more times after he left the Browns to become head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989, but that's what playing Elway twice a year will get you. Perhaps Schottenheimer's worst moment came on Oct. 4, 1992, at Mile High Stadium.
    Denver's offense hadn't scored a touchdown in 12 quarters and trailed the Chiefs 19-6. What's more, Kansas City had spent most of the day knocking Elway to the ground. But he kept popping up and finally got Denver into the end zone on a 25-yard pass to Jackson with 1:55 left. After the Broncos held on defense and returned a punt to the Chiefs' 27, Elway conjured a three-play drive that ended with a 12-yard pass to Vance Johnson with 38 seconds left. Final score: 20-19. "No matter how hard you hit him, he just gets back up and wants more," said defensive end Neil Smith. "Elway is the best two-minute quarterback I've ever played against." Smith's linemate Bill Maas was slightly less anxious to talk about Elway after the game. In a barely audible voice he said, "This is about the sickest feeling I've ever had."

Just thought I would share my story! Thanks!

Don't mean to get giddy but I just matched two more points on the jersey to this photo. One to a small tear on the front numeral and the other to a mark elsewhere on the numeral. Very cool!

Congrats on the photomatch. Good stuff.

By the way we have the next installment of 5 GU Questions ready to go. It should be up in the next couple of days so look for it.
    Eric

Nice work on the photo match. I wish I could photo match my Braxton jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
    Don't mean to get giddy but I just matched two more points on the jersey to this photo. One to a small tear on the front numeral and the other to a mark elsewhere on the numeral. Very cool!