Rank your Top 5 Jersey Manafacturers!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G1X
    • Nov 2005

Re: Rank your Top 5 Jersey Manafacturers!

My rankings pertain only to football as that is the main focus of my collecting:

FOOTBALL
    1. Sand Knit durene (but not their mesh)
    2. Russell mesh, especially 1970s and '80s
    3. Wilson mesh from the late 1980s through mid '90s
    4. MacGregor durene
    5. Southland durene from 1960s through mid '70s

Least favorites include:
    1. Just about anything Champion ever made
    2. Just about anything made over the past decade (mainly dislike the style/cut of modern jerseys)
    3. Spanjian
    4. Sand Knit mesh, especially 1970s that had only one layer of mesh shoulder material
    5. Russell heavy knit cold-weather jerseys from the 1980s (double-knit type of material)

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons jerseys, World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used equipment.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by G1X
      Least favorites include:

3. Spanjian
      Mark with all due respect, I don't think you've seen a mid 60s Chargers Spanjian durene.

Pre-1970 made in Pasadena, after the move to San Marcos, the quality slipped.

Comment

• gwh11
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by G1X
        My rankings pertain only to football as that is the main focus of my collecting:

FOOTBALL
        1. Sand Knit durene (but not their mesh)
        2. Russell mesh, especially 1970s and '80s
        3. Wilson mesh from the late 1980s through mid '90s
        4. MacGregor durene
        5. Southland durene from 1960s through mid '70s

Least favorites include:
        1. Just about anything Champion ever made
        2. Just about anything made over the past decade (mainly dislike the style/cut of modern jerseys)
        3. Spanjian
        4. Sand Knit mesh, especially 1970s that had only one layer of mesh shoulder material
        5. Russell heavy knit cold-weather jerseys from the 1980s (double-knit type of material)

Mark Hayne
        Gridiron Exchange
        gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons jerseys, World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used equipment.

If there was a "Like" button for this post, I'd click it.
        -Guy

Comment

• G1X
          • Nov 2005

BTPH,

Thanks for contributing yet another valuable piece of information to this Forum. I did not know that Spanjian made the mid-1960s Chargers (one of the sharpest football jerseys ever made) as my experiences with Spanjian are strictly from their 1970s mesh era. With this knowledge about Spanjian now in hand, I am clarifying item #3 in my "Least Favorite" category to state "1970s mesh Spanjian jerseys".

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. Now, if I could only find a blue mid-1960s Chargers jersey for my collection

Mark Hayne
          Gridiron Exchange
          gixc@verizon.net

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by G1X
            I did not know that Spanjian made the mid-1960s Chargers (one of the sharpest football jerseys ever made) as my experiences with Spanjian are strictly from their 1970s mesh era. With this knowledge about Spanjian now in hand, I am clarifying item #3 in my "Least Favorite" category to state "1970s mesh Spanjian jerseys".
            Yes, the 70s Spanjian mesh were weak. Through the 50s and 60s they made some incredible durenes for college and high school teams, also. Their development of Spandex, was instrumental in producing pants for every major college football team of the late 50s and 60s.

Comment

• cjw
              • Oct 2006

Thought this was worth picking up. A sample perhaps? A company league? Did Jackie Robinson moonlight as a Goodman's salesman in retirement?

WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

Working...