Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I don't understand it - It doesn't make sense!

I realize this isn't the autograph forum, but there's no action there. However, I know you will all agree, whether autographs or game used.

I don't get the prices receivd for cut auto's on cards. Upperdeck takes a Mickey Mantle 8x10 and cuts the signature. Does the same for Alex Rodriguez. Paste them to a card from 2007, and it sells for thousands.

I just don't get it. Does anyone else think this is insane?

Tony

Re: I don't understand it - It doesn't make sense!

I agree with you. A piece clipped off of a player's personal check (and pasted to a baseball card) should not be worth multiples more than the entire check. It's nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I agree with you. A piece clipped off of a player's personal check (and pasted to a baseball card) should not be worth multiples more than the entire check. It's nonsensical.
    I agree. I just don't get it. A Mickey Mantle signed 8x10 is work $125. Cut the signature from that 8x10 and paste it to a card from 2007, and now it's worth $1,500. Very odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I agree. I just don't get it. A Mickey Mantle signed 8x10 is work $125. Cut the signature from that 8x10 and paste it to a card from 2007, and now it's worth $1,500. Very odd to me.

Sorry, is worth $125

that price isn't simply for the autos. it's for the "1/7" bs. the manufacturing of the perception of rarity. if the card would've been labelled 1/250, the price wouldn't be as high.

rudy.

Banned

It's a scam. Pure and simple. They get a cut signature of Foxx and Williams, stick em' on some worthless card, number it a 1/1, and it sells for 5000.00+. You could get the Williams cut for 75.00, the foxx for 400.00, and it would be the same thing, but since upper deck puts 1/1 on it collectors go crazy. Ignorance.
    Greg

Greg, I couldn't agree more. I won't even get into how much I dislike bat and jersey cards. This whole numbered card concept is one of the many reasons that I stopped collecting baseball cards.

I'm not for cutting up a game used jersey or check for a card (obviously, if a current player specifically wore a jersey for two innings so it could cut up for a Topps card, that's not the end of the world). However, there is a difference. With a jersey, you can get, say, hundreds of jersey cards from a jersey, but you can extract only one signature from a single signed check. If you cut up a Honus Wagner check into 10 pieces, you can still only get one autograph insert card from it. And, the funny thing is there is no actual need to cut up a check. UD could issue a whole Wagner check mounted on a card if they wished. UD has many send away redemption cards.

I should add that I do like the modern insert cards the players are paid to sign directly onto. They are often nicely designed and can be a safe way to buy autographs of Hall of Famers like Brooks Robinson and Willie Mays. As the players were under contract with the card company, authenticity is rarely an issue.

I can't agree more on the issue of cutting up perfectly good autographed pieces and placing them in cards. I am a Perez Steele collector and it makes me sick to see signatures from these beautiful Great Moments cards (already numbered out of 5,000) and Post Cards / Celebration Cards (already numbered out of 10,000) cut up for the autographs and then placed in a new numbered card. The card manufacturer really thinks they have something special! I don't think so. The signature was something special before it went under the operation of the scissors.

Greg