Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Radtke Sports, Gridiron Authentics...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    The numerals on back are "clear square" variety, which appears correct for the time period. If you look, it appears that blue paint is exposed under the "2" numeral - how do you get hit marks or scratches under a sticker like that? Just wondering for my future collecting if anyone knows how that could have happened...seems like the silver paint would have been protected under a sticker like that.
    If a helmet is used over an extended time period, it's entirely possible to have something like a decal be taken off and replaced. That it happens to be over an impact mark is usually inconsequential to the equipment staff.

That said, here's what to consider when it comes to impact marks/decal issues.

1) It is possible for huge gouges or deep impact marks to appear in the vicinity of a decal
    2) It usually is very difficult to see those appear under where a decal was actually placed, as a thicker decal will displace and absorb some of that impact. There are weird cases; I know LSU has usually used extremely thin decals so they can be replaced every game, so they wouldn't dampen impact
    3) If there is a deep impact mark underneath where a thick decal was placed at the time of impact with no corresponding adhesive residue inside of the mark, it would be an amazing occurrance

I'm speaking not as a collector here, but someone who's spent a few years issuing, re-collecting, repairing, and fixing football equipment for teams I've coached

Re: Radtke Sports, Gridiron Authentics...

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    I also know Riddell doesn't throw stuff away - I remember circa 1991-92 Riddell put out "throwback" helmets (like a white original Cowboys or a white-horn Rams) for sale at the mall jersey stores that had PAC-3 padding and the early-70s all caps "Riddell" logo on the wildcat sweatband. Of course they also used those USFL-era facemasks on them as well, but they did have the correct clear-covered PAC-3/WD-1 air cells that hadn't been seen for the prior 4-5 years.
    Yes, I have a couple of the older throwbacks that Riddell offered with the PAC3 padding - Giants 75 style and a Houston Oilers. Both have the gaudy thick USFL style masks on them. Both are in the old throwback boxes that Riddell sold them in. You don't see many like that floating around any longer.