Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acowan19
    • Jan 2006

Grove's Forbes Field Club

I bought a really old baseball a few days ago at a card show. It reads: "Grove's Forbes Field Club" and has multicolor stitching (red and green). Above the title panel is a symbol that looks like the old Reach (circular with the brand name in the middle) symbol but says Goldsmith. In the circle around the Goldsmith logo is says: "The Sporting Good with a Guarantee." Underneath the title panel it says its made of horsehide. There are a couple more things on there on the ball but its hard to read. I just picked it up for $40 cause I thought it looked cool and would fit into my collection of baseballs.

I put the whole title "Grove's Forbes Field Club" in google but didn't find anything. I even googled Forbes Field Club and just found stuff on the old Pirates' stadium. Just let me know if anyone on here knows what this might be.

Aaron Cowan
  • vintagesportscollector
    • Nov 2005

Re: Grove's Forbes Field Club

Aaron- Sounds like a nice pickup and a good price. Can you post a picture? Sounds like from the 1920's. Goldsmith was the official league ball for many minor professional leagues so maybe there is a tie to one of those.

Comment

• slidekellyslide
      • Aug 2005

Would love to see a picture of this ball....It's a mystery to me as no Grove is ever associated with playing for Pittsburgh. I wonder if there was a minor league team out there that also had a Forbes Field. It was not unheard of for some minor league parks to carry the same name as a major league park (ie Wrigley Field in LA)

Comment

• mjkm90
        • Nov 2005

If the condition is nice, you stole that ball. Early goldsmith balls are veeery desireable. I would LOVE to see a pic of it.
        Mike H

Comment

• acowan19
          • Jan 2006

Thanks for your replies to my email. Sorry I haven't gotten a picture up yet for everyone else to see but I will try and do that this weekend.

AC

Comment

Working...