Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Preston Wilson 2006 Cards Bat

All, I have a question regarding the knob stampings on a 2006 Preston Wilson bat. It appears the model number, "2006" and "PW" are stamped in. His #3 and the factory name and weight is written on. Is this playoff/World Series stampings. Photos of Wilson during the 23006 WS show him using rawlings bats without the taped handle. I also know Rawlings stamping has been inconsistent for special model bats.

Name:  Wilsonknob.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  3.9 KB

Re: Preston Wilson 2006 Cards Bat

Chris, I think it's safe to consider that a post-season bat, but I'm pretty sure the World Series bats have "WS" stamped into the knob. The Cardinals have one of Wilson's WS bats on display currently in the team's HOF/Museum. It's from game 4 -- it has handle tape and "WS" stamped into the knob. Here's a screen grab from the game:

Hope that helps.

Banned

Thanks Scott! That is an odd tape job. I saw a dozen or so of his Astros bats from the first part of 2006, but never tape like that. Preston is always one to switch things up. I will send you an e-mail this evening about the bat!

Thanks,

That particular tape job appeared on all of Ronnie Belliard's bats last season. After he joined the Cardinals, I noticed it on some of Encarnacion's bats and Wilson's bats, as well. Ronnie must have been running a side business in the clubhouse taping other guys' bats.

I have been tracking Nats bats for weeks now and one of the things I always note is that Ronnie Belliard uses a "crazy tape wrap" around his bats.

Chris,

Rawlings was know to put player initials on post season bats.

I have several 1986 post season bats that are stamped with the model number and the player initials on the knobs. There were 86 NLCS Rawlings Adirondack orange ring bats that were issued to Mets players. The same stampings are present on the 88 RA playoff bats too.

Ed Hearn 460B EH
    Rick Aguilera 460B RA

The 1986 WS Rawlings were stamped model number, player initials, year

Len Dykstra LD4 LD 1986
    Darryl Strawberry 113A DS 1986

I have 2 2000 NLCS bats which were stamped differently

Rick Reed 460B 2000 NLCS
    Mike Piazza 690B NLCS

I agree that the Wilson is probably a post season bat.

Hope this helps.
    David