Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1960s New York Jets Helmet

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Game-Used-...QQcmdZViewItem
    This auction just ended on eBay. I must say it is an impressive item with an even more impressive photo-match. It sold for $2,025. It seems like someone got a good deal. I hope the winning bidder is a collector, and didn't buy it for re-sell purposes. I do not collect helmets, but this would be a great place to start. WOW!

Re: 1960s New York Jets Helmet

yeah, i was watching it and all i can say is that baby is an absolute beauty - it appears that forum member gridman80 was the winner unless, of course, it's just a coincidence that the ebayer that won it shares the name "gridman80" with our forum member...

Banned

Hey guys, the same seller has the matching jersey which isn't too shabby either.

Jim

Yes I won this piece in the auction...I am not a dealer....I've been a NY Jets fan for 40 years, a season ticket holder for 25...A collector for 15 years..I think the price I paid is fair..and I've probably bought and sold more than 50 game worn NFL suspension helmets in the last decade.The helmet is going on a shelf next to a 1965 Dan Ficca helmet, 2006 Jerricho Cotchery, late 1980's Mary Lyons, 1983 Ken O'Brien and 1974 Ed Bell...I had a Klecko helmet years ago that I sold to come with the dough to buy a 1986 Montana jersey that I eventually sold in a Vintage auction for 16K...but I still regret selling the Klecko..Joe lives down the street from me and he doesn't have any of his stuff...Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I also have a 1997 Neil O'Donnell on the shelf too....but the Jets used a beautiful green metallic paint from 1995 thru 1997 and 1997 was the only year they used a black neck bumper sticker with 'New York' In white trimmed in green..I got a deal on the helmet, a road jersey and his shoulder pads with flak vest. A sh*tty player but nice stuff.

Banned

Great pickup. As for the price you paid, think of it this way, if you would have bought the helmet through a auction house, you would have to add on at least another 15% or more for hammer fees.

Great pickup.

Jim

Thanks for the compliment...It's always a good day when you can avoid paying the juice to the auction houses.....when it gets up to the 20% range on both sides....it becomes ridiculous....

Banned

You still saved $400.00. Very nice indeed. I now have a better understanding of "Hammer" fees.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gridman80 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment...It's always a good day when you can avoid paying the juice to the auction houses.....when it gets up to the 20% range on both sides....it becomes ridiculous....
    Gridman,

Send me a email at flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim

i imagine it's tough to give it up - what a beauty...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=41157

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    i imagine it's tough to give it up - what a beauty...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=41157

Yes you are correct...tough piece to give up..did it only to fund another Jets deal...I can't have everything I want in this hobby or I'd live in poverty..Hope it goes to a Jets and/or helmet collector who really appreciates it.....