Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Bonds his own collector in homer chase

I hope you guys enjoy this article.

Rudy

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Re: Bonds his own collector in homer chase

Show me the money Barry

At least he is giving his son first crack at his items.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    At least he is giving his son first crack at his items.

for a fee, I'm sure

Where does Barry get these $ figure quotes from. Barry probably missed that I was the runner-up bidder on his 715th HR ball that only got 1 other bidder and only got bid to $26,100 and didn't meet the reserve. Not a good sign for Bonds memorabilia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barry-Bonds-Home...QQcmdZViewItem

These quotes are priceless:

"After your career is over, you can auction off some of this stuff," Bonds said. "What's a complete uniform from one of my run-of-the-mill home runs worth, $50,000, $60,000? That's a college scholarship for some kid."

Bonds estimates that his Giants uniforms probably cost him about $100 each.

"It's not like we have to pay full price," he said.

Because this is the season of the Aaron chase, Bonds added that he bought uniforms in bulk. He's already used 18 of them to hit his 20 homers, because he's smacked two homers in a single game twice already this season -- April 13 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh and July 19 at Chicago's Wrigley Field.
    "I usually don't change my uniform during a game no matter what I do," said Bonds, although he is considering wearing two sets of uniforms and baseball paraphernalia on the day he hits the historic home runs just to have them as added keepsakes.

I'm usually interested in what and how much of a player's own stuff they collect, and I try to ask them whenever given the oppportunity...but in Bonds' case, I find the whole thing more than a bit calculating and distasteful. Why would he wear more than one uniform in the game when he (invevitably, I suppose) hits #756? So that one can go to the Hall (should they have the bad taste to want it) and he can keep or auction the other one? Where on Earth does he get the idea that one of his uniforms would ever be worth $50-60K?

Me, I want the ball Randy Johnson drilled Bonds with, back on Randy's 41st birthday in 2004...but I don't suppose anyone bothered to save that one.

Godwulf

Here is a link that was talked about a while back.Feel free to read all the info.Barry must of made a call to Ken Griffey Jr.I find this really funny cause they are more worried about the stuff instad of playing the game.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hlight=griffey

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net
    AKA=CMIII

not really sure what the difference is between what bonds is doing and what exclusive contract companies like steiner try to do - except, of course, that bonds is representing himself instead of roping himself into some ridiculous contract that gives the rep first right to his first born.

whatever the case, given today's sports memorabilia market i'm sure there are more than a few aging sports legends that wished they had engaged in a little more hoarding during their playing days...

Bonds full uni from a run of the mill hr isn't worth $60k to anyone but himself. His memorabilia has plummeted in value. Sure it's worth some money, perhaps a few grand for the uni and a few grand for the bat. Maybe $6,000? His shoes and wrist bad are worth a little something too. Is he saving his jock strap too? :-) Maybe we could buy that, extract the DNA and clone more steroid freak egomanic homerun hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by byergo View Post
    Is he saving his jock strap too? :-)
    The great, unanswered sports memorabilia question of the century!

Actually, I once asked folks, on another board, whether there was any player in the history of The Game whose athletic supporter they would have in their collection - if it were, say, just given to them - and the general, in fact unanimous, concensus was a resounding "No". Not even Babe Ruth's, apparently.

Do you think Baseball fans are really that squeamish on the subject, or is it just a view we express in public because to do otherwise would seem...um, weird.