Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey Flannel - James Worthy UNC jersey

i would appreciate any comments from nba collectors.

the jersey:

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/s...yNum=2&Lot=120

the font seems wrong, as seen in the "#5". photos of worthy playing at unc show a different style of "5". as well, is the sand-knit tag consistent with the years that worthy played at UNC? (worthy played at UNC from 1979-82). see:

thanks,

rudy.

Re: Grey Flannel - James Worthy UNC jersey

Yes, there seems to be a definite issue with the numeral "5" on the Worthy jersey. I did not notice this when I first browsed Grey Flannel's new auction. I just searched many UNC photos from the Worthy era, and no match to the "5" font.
    Also, I am not 100% sure as to when Sand Knit introduced the "printed" tag, as opposed to the "stitched" variety. It seems the dates you posted (84-85) are correct. I will do more research to find any Carolina jersey of the late 70s to 1980s with this numeral "5" font.
    Good job Rudy, thanks for the post. I am definitely NOT an expert at anything. I have stared at North Carolina hoops jerseys more than any other in my life. I did not notice this. I think I was mesmerized by all the other hall-of-fame caliber items in GFC's new auction.

"I did not notice this. I think I was mesmerized by all the other hall-of-fame caliber items in GFC's new auction."

no problem, warren. while you're persuing all the snazzy items, here's a nifty photo of the 1947-48 minneapolis lakers for good luck! maybe it'll come in handy one day.

rudy.

Rudy
    Are you sure the photo is from the 1947-48 season? Grey Flannel claims their Mikan is from 1947-48. They clearly don't match:

I hope the truth about the Worthy jersey can be revealed.
    "Adjacent to refuse IS refuse."

the photo comes from a gentleman named stew thornley. mr. thornley wrote a book called "Basketball’s Original Dynasty: The History of the Lakers". according to mr. thornley, his book "focuses mainly on the team’s years in Minneapolis". he also wrote another book called "Minnesota Hoops: Basketball in the North Star State" and a few articles: "“Minnesota Pro Basketball History,” Minnesota Timberwolves Inaugural Media Guide, 1989-90", and "Showtime Begins: The Minneapolis Lakers,” Program for the 1994 NBA All-Star Game".

he says the pic is of the 1947-48 minneapolis lakers squad. maybe he's wrong. or something.

rudy.

Since the invention of this forum(coincidence or not), Grey Flannel has tried to do the right thing and correct their auction descriptions. I hope that GF can correctly date this jersey and revisit their authentication process. The jersey is up to $26,000. They are the authenticators for the HOF in Springfield. C'mon fellas-make it happen! If one of your items is proven to be questionable or un-authentic....then re-authenticate or end the auction. Your reputation is on the line. These jerseys are pieces of history, please take them seriously. Don't go Lampson on me!

rudy.

are any a match? maybe 1949 or 1950?

rudy.

I don't see a match for this specific Mikan jersey in any of those photos..Did anyone else notice that in both the '49 & '50 photos #22 (left) is wearing a diff. style jersey (font) than the others? Odd, but not unusual for the time. Jay.

I think it's a style match to 1949....

Regards,
    Dave