Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Alarming news about Mastro's UNC Jordan shirt

I have been getting emails from people asking if Doug sent me the answers to the questions for the Jordan buyer.

He hasn't yet. I followed up with him yesterday and will let everyone know what happens.

Thanks
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Doug Allen was nice enough to send me the answers to the questions for the buyer of the Michael Jordan shooting shirt. Here's what he said...

Eric,

Sorry for the delay....here are the responses based on conversations with the buyer.

Regards,
    Doug

1) Before the Mastro auction, what was your experience with collecting Jordan items or North Carolina items? Do you have an extensive collection? - I have an extensive collection of early North Carolina items.
    2) Had you seen the Jordan shirt in person at the National before bidding, or did you base your knowledge on seeing the photos in the catalog and reading the auction description? I have never seen the item in person.

3) Did you bid in person or on the phone? I bid via the phone as I was not at the National

4) What kind of research had you done before placing the winning bid on the shooting shirt? Reviewed description and images.

5) At what point did you learn the shirt had issues (name change, mears failure to authenticate letter) Doug Allen called me the week after the auction and explained in detail the findings of MEARS and subsequently he called me back after he determined that the in addition to the name the number "2" had also been changed.

6) When you found out there were questions about the shooting shirt (stains that match a Ranzino shooting shirt and evidence of a name change) what was your response? No specific response.

7) Did it concern you at all that the shirt went up for auction without a mears letter? No. I did not consider MEARS an authority on vintage game used college material.

8) Knowing what you know now, what do you think about the fact that mears deemed it unable to authenticate and Lou Lampson wrote a letter on it without even noting a name change? I was more surprised that neither MEARS or Lampson saw the number change. As indicated to Doug Allen the name change is not what concerned me. I thought that "acceptable" for an early college shirt.

9) How do you feel about the whole process? What if anything would you change? I am disappointed that the shirt is not real as I would have loved to add it to my collection. I am glad Mastro Auctions did the right thing and cancelled the sale.

10) Doug Allen said you do not have to pay for the Jordan shirt and it has been sent to MEARS for more research. Once MEARS does the extensive work on it, will you have the option to buy the shirt back? If so, what do you plan to do with it? This has never been discussed. Doug Allen indicated the shirt would be destroyed.

11) Doug said "...it is interesting to note that the high bidder on the item would actually have still purchased it with MEARS "unable to authenticate" letter as he indicated it would not be unusual for a college jersey to have a name change. This didn't bother the bidder."
    Can you elaborate on this? I know the UNC equipment manager who indicated it was not unusual to change names in order for pieces like this to be reused. The name change in and of it self would not be the kiss of death for this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by the high bidder of the "infamous" Jordan
    7) Did it concern you at all that the shirt went up for auction without a mears letter? No. I did not consider MEARS an authority on vintage game used college material.
    In this matter, I think knowing how to use a light table is more valuable than knowledge of college basketball jerseys.
    Maybe now there is one less collector who is going to "take the word" from an authenticator or auction house. I would like to hear about this guy's UNC collection. Wish he'd join the forum!

These answers read like they were scripted, or ghost written. If the "High Bidder" talked to the equipment manager at UNC, then why didn't the equipment manager tell him jordan had his shooting shirt like he told the Daily News? Also, the equipment manager would have told him that it is a long standing tradition that ACC schools give each player their uniforms when they leave their particular school. How do you think I was able to buy Ranzino Smith's uniforms? And that schlock qoute "9) How do you feel about the whole process? What if anything would you change? I am disappointed that the shirt is not real as I would have loved to add it to my collection. I am glad Mastro Auctions did the right thing and cancelled the sale." If someone tried to rip me off by covering up a major flaw in a 5 digit purchase I would not be say they were doing "the right thing." The "High Bidder" comes accross like an damn fool when reading the answers Mastro provided. He has a collection of "early Carolina items"? Define early. Carolina was a national power long before Jordan arrived in Chapel Hill.

Eric,

Sorry for the delay....here are the responses based on conversations with the buyer.

Regards,
    Doug
    I was tired when I originally read this post. The above quote says it all. "BASED" on conversations...kind of like "BASED" on a true story. These are the same answers Doug has given throughout this situation on many e-mails to Eric. They are the anwers paraphrased from "conversations" or e-mails from the high bidder. ALL of these answers were stated on different threads about this subject. I wonder if the high bidder even knows about O'Keefe's article? Or this forum?
    Also, Doug says he's going to "destroy" the jersey? Why? It really was worn by Ranzino Smith. A true Carolina fan would appreciate a game used "Z". Restore it..don't destroy it!

Folks-

I too was confused and disappointed to hear the ranzino smith shooting shirt would be destroyed after the mears examination.

I just wrote doug allen and said I would be interested in buying the shirt.

If they felt restoring a facemask to a kellen winslow helmet would make it more attractive to a collector, I'm not sure why that wouldn't apply here too

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I too was confused and disappointed to hear the ranzino smith shooting shirt would be destroyed after the mears examination.

I just wrote doug allen and said I would be interested in buying the shirt.
    Now all you need is the Green Ripken, and you can start the "Game Used Forum Museum of Oddities".

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Now all you need is the Green Ripken, and you can start the "Game Used Forum Museum of Oddities".

Sorry, but I named it after myself. I'm gonna use my rich uncle's house. Nice place...but there's a gear shift in the lobby!

I just noticed one of Eric Inselberg's ebay names ny1prada is listed as no longer a registered user.

Wonder what happened
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Makes you wonder where they came up with the vintage material for the numbers, etc. There are some pretty crafty forgers out there.

Off the subject but, grandpahoo, I got your message and it appears that you're not set up to receive replies. In any event, the Herman Moore gamer you inquired about was sold last year. Sorry, but keep looking, they're out there!
    I didn't see this until just now. Thanks for the response - I'll definitely keep looking.