Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Alarming news about Mastro's UNC Jordan shirt

in their last auction, Mastro sold a "Michael Jordan Early 1980s University of North Carolina Shooting Shirt" for $11,000. the lot can still be seen here:
    http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

mastro hired mears to authenticate the jersey. mears' judgement was that the shirt was "unable to authenticate" due to a name change on the back.
    despite hiring mears for their authentication on the shirt, mastro never mentioned mears' findings. as well, a forum member contacted the UNC basketball office and was told by the equipment manager that "jordan has his shooting shirt". mastro posted an authentication by lou lampson. the lampson authentication fails to mention any name change. mastro's ad stated "this is one of the very few surviving North Carolina Jordan artifacts that can clearly be deemed authentic."

recently, a forum member contacted me saying that he had sold a ranzino smith shooting shirt to eric inselberg of nyc. the forum member was concerned because mastro's "jordan" shooting shirt had some striking similarities to the smith shooting shirt he sold to eric inselberg. namely, both shirts seem to have identical stains on the front and on the right sleeve. as well, the "N" (of "UNC") patch on the front bears identical pucker marks on both shirts.

here are both shirts. the following post shows the images enhanced for the sole purpose of showing the stains more clearly.

rudy.

Re: Alarming news about Mastro's UNC Jordan shirt

both shirts, enhanced to make the stains more evident:

rudy.

I agree that the stains match and this is more than a coincedence. Since MEARS examined this jersey, I wonder if anyone recognized a tag change. The shirt originally had a Sand Knit MacGregor tag, then was changed to Sand Knit Medalist (to match the Jordan era tagging).

Rudy,

thanks for the effort you are putting into this. I have been trying to do research on the Gervin...if you look at previous posts the last 2 they have had, have been WAY OFF. To me this one looks good, but I need more concrete evidence. Any help would be appreciated.

What I have noticed on other pictures is the Spur in the letter U iw way more to the left and not lined up as much with the first 4 and in most pics, the S and S in Spurs goes into the Black sides on the jersey.

I actually do want to bid on this, or one eventually....any thoughts???

Please help anymore?

Bill

MEARS used a light table to discover the name change. MEARS' research was not disclosed by Mastro in the auction description. Lou Lampson wrote the LOA. If Lampson and his boys call him an "expert", why didn't he use a light table...or his eyes? What does the hobby expect of its authenticators? It seems like MEARS did everything that could be expected. They ruled the Jordan warm up as "unable to authenticate". Lou Lampson sold out. I understand Lou knows Raisin/Cinnamon/cream cheese bagels, Zapruder films, and grassy knolls...but it seems Lou doesn't know jack about recognizing a forgery.

Rudy...

Great job spotting this...it makes me sick to my stomach seeing this...I saw this warm up at the National and thought it was awesome...I was gonna have a friend bid on it for me...thank goodness that I didn't

I think what Mastro did was extremely disgusting...Mears finds issues with it, so they send it to Lampson?...the same guy who would authenticate 20 Shrouds of Turin in the same month?

at least GFC pulled their Worthy UNC when issues were made, Mastro seems like they're being extremely deceptive...what a shame!!!

The story has been picked up by the New York Daily News. Much of the investigation is credited to this site. Here is a link to the piece.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=10331
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

rose14,

given doug allen's disregard of the issues pertaining to the darrell griffith jersey (see: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=5233 ) , i wonder if his actions and apologies for this jordan debacle were really motivated by the attention from the ny daily news and the fbi. after all, on the griffith jersey allen refused to go against lou's opinion regardless of the overwhelming evidence. however, with the jordan shirt doug had no problem immediately disregarding lou's opinion. is doug's support of lou dependent on whether the fbi gets involved?

ever since sammy davis passed on, it's been a long time since i've seen a song and dance this good.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

Nice Work! I'll take that as a challenge...

King, I am glad this is getting attention and maybe Mastros will put integrity over the all mighty dollar and finally quit using Lou Lampson. In regards to the Louisville Griffith jersey, I never spoke with Doug Allen as all of my converstations were with Brian Marren.

What I am mistified about is Doug Allen's response on why MEARS would not sign off on the Jordan shooting shirt, "I mistakingly thought your lack of comfort was due to the fact that you were not comfortable with writing letters on items that fall so far outside of the mainstream as opposed to substantive concerns about the actual item" What the hell is that? It's funny that Doug was still not aware of this even though Dave Bushing and Troy Kinunen sat and ate at the same table with him and Bill Mastro at the live auction before the auction even started. I just wonder what was going through Troy and Dave's mind while they sat in the back of the balcony at the House of Blues while the fake Jordan jersey was selling for $11,000.