Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Nolan Ryan - Not always Goodman?

I came across this item on Ebay:

A 1991 "game used" Nolan Ryan Rangers jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8755592186

At first, I was extremely curious how that jersey managed to show that much wear, as it's well-known that Ryan did not pitch in anything but Goodman & Sons jerseys during his tenure with the Rangers. (And possibly his tenure with other teams). During his years with the Rangers, he wore Goodman & Sons while the rest of the Rangers wore Rawlings (and later Russell Athletic). I was pretty sure the jersey had to be fake based solely on the fact that it was a Rawlings and yet it showed a good amount of wear. I was extremely curious how it specifically managed to get that wear if he didn't wear it.

However, I found these 2 images:

Both of them seem to show what I believe are Rawlings logos on the right sleeve. (It's blurry but given that his Goodman & Sons, Wilson, and AIS jerseys bear no markings on the right sleeve, and it doesn't look like the Russell "R", the possible choices are limited).

I believe at least one of those two images may be from spring training.
    A theory: His Goodman & Sons jerseys weren't available/ready by those specific Spring Training games so he wore his typically issued Rawlings jerseys. He wore his Goodman & Sons for the regular season/as soon as he received them. I have my doubts that the Ebay jersey was worn during a good portion of the regular season. I suspect at best it may have been worn during Spring Training. The style of tagging is correct (strip tag & font) for the Rangers in 1991.

Rudy

Banned

Re: Nolan Ryan - Not always Goodman?

Rudy, check out this link, maybe it will help...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42715...wlings+Jerseys

Not everything is always as they seem.