for a policy to be effective, people have to follow it. for people to truly follow it, they have to agree with it. failure to agree with and follow the policy renders it nothing more than meaningless words on paper. to this end, i see 2 issues.

1) prior to this new policy, mastro stated on its website:
"We are not dealers.

Mastro Auctions is a consignment auction house. Many auctions are run by dealers offering material they own. And in addition to offering an infinitely inferior service, these auctions expose consignors to numerous unreconcilable conflicts of interest."

doug's now saying "Mastro Auctions allows employees, authenticators, the Mastro Auctions corporate entity and other third party affiliates to own and consign items in Mastro Auctions’ sales."

the two policies contradict each other. is this new policy simply an admission of what mastro was doing all along but simply failed to let people know? mastro railed against auctions offering items owned by those running the auction and now they're saying they allowed such things. therefore, if doug didn't follow his previous policy what makes anyone think he'll follow this one?

2) doug is now saying that mastro will disclose ownership because it's the right thing to do. he's says he's being proactive. however, when eric asked doug if he had a financial stake in the winslow helmet, doug wouldn't say. if doug allen believes that disclosing ownership is the right thing to do, then why didn't he do it on the winslow helmet? wasn't he in a proactive mood back then? clearly he didn't disclose ownership because he didn't want to. i'm now supposed to believe that he wants to?

doug allen is correct when he says that actions speak louder than words. his past actions speak volumes about his likelihood of actually following this new policy.

it's difficult to believe doug when he says this policy has come about because of "new concerns plaguing the industry" (since when has doctoring items, shill bidding, and conflicts of interest been a new thing?)and because of high standards and trying to help the hobby. i have to think it's more of a PR response to the black-eye Mastro has received over the past year with the winslow helmet, "The Card", the jordan shirt, etc. as well, i'm sure it doesn't hurt in getting the Feds off their back. a part of me also can't help but feel it was also designed to set the stage for an eventual parting with MEARS. obviously they'd be questioned over it and coming up with these policies now enables them to say "no need to worry, as you can see we've got these policies that are just as good as MEARS'!"

rudy.