Everybody out there probably has to ask themselves this question from time to time. Here it is, and I'd like your imput...

I have been a collector of memorabilia in many areas now for almost 30 years. My Topps sets stretch from 74 on, and many know I collect Dave Kingman, McGwire, Jim Thome and Adam Dunn, as well as members of the 68 and 84 Tigers bats... After obtaining items I always seek to get it signed as a way of "completing" the item before it is properly displayed. With Kingman, the difficulty has not been price but his availability to do shows. When he does one you travel to it. McGwire is a differnent story altogether. Thome will appear Nov 17 to do a show for Mounted Memories in Chicago. I have a White Sox bat and a pair of Indians cleats I'd love to get signed. Equipment costs $149 each, and to write something simple like "2006 AL Comeback 40 HRS" would be another $49... So, to get both items signed with an inscription would be in access after parking and show admission over $400!!! If this would be affordable I could see me taking the wife and 2 kids over for the 6 hour drive and getting the auto's and meeting Jim. I have talked myself out of this because of the ridiculous expense. I emailed Mounted Memories about it and got no reply.

What is everybodys thoughts on this - what would you do?

RK