Current "Vintage Authentics" auction
"Lot 38: Mark McGwire c.1993 Game Used Jersey", authenticated by MEARS

Here are my issues with this jersey:
- in 1993 (and 1994) the A's did not use the 'elephant on ball' patch as is shown in the auction jersey, but rather the 'elephant with crossed bats' patch. (This can't be a 1992 because in 1992 the A's used a 25 yr Anniversary patch and it also bears the wrong style "Oakland" script for 1992. It also can't be a 1994 because it's missing the 125 yr MLB patch.)
See images below. As well, I have a 1993 Oakland A's road jersey, stamped with the "Purchased from Oakland Athletics" stamp inside and it has the "elephants with crossed bats" patch.
- the Russell tagging is circa 1996-1999. The style of Russell tagging shown in the auction jersey did not exist in 1992 or 1993.

At best, it's a 1996. The A's had a 'lack of patches' in 1996. As well, the "Oakland" script, patches, 2-color name and number fonts, and Russell tagging all point to 1996. At worst, well...I'll refrain from saying it. I will add that I find it very odd that the "25" on the front of the jersey is much more vivid and crisp than the "Oakland" which seems relatively faded.
I can't believe someone actually paid MEARS for this authentication.

Rudy.