Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Minor League Game Used - Opinions on Collectability

Thanks for the great responses guys.

I am definitely looking at these items as rare additions to my collection, and I feel that there is strong provenance for the items I am considering. I'm not really looking at it as an investment or speculating. Though naturally, it wouldnt hurt my feelings if they appreciated in value.

Anyhow, I am glad to hear that there is credibility and interest in minor league items, at least from player collectors and team collectors.

Thanks and if anyone else has any thoughts to share, I'd still appreciate hearing those.

I could be imagining things but it almost seems like there became a frenzied interest in minor league GU items (particularly of prospects) after the disccovery of the Mays minor league jersey on Antiques Roadshow and it's subsequent hefty sale. The market seems driven mostly by those hoping to catch a player before they become or star (or perhaps those who've been chased away by the MLB's heftier and heftier price tags).

As game used becomes more and more of a marketable commodity, I think we're going to see more teams at all levels offering this stuff as part of their 'product'.

Interestingly, this article on colleges and game used just showed up today: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...e_unfair46654/

The proliferation and availability of game used has actually served to dampen any interest I have in most post 1990 items. I can't imagine the market sustaining any value if there is a constant flux of new items streaming directly to the public. Gone too is some of the allure, the chase, and mystery. Or maybe I'm just unhappy to be back to work after four days.

Quote Originally Posted by jwasserman View Post
    I could be imagining things but it almost seems like there became a frenzied interest in minor league GU items (particularly of prospects) after the disccovery of the Mays minor league jersey on Antiques Roadshow and it's subsequent hefty sale. The market seems driven mostly by those hoping to catch a player before they become or star (or perhaps those who've been chased away by the MLB's heftier and heftier price tags).

As game used becomes more and more of a marketable commodity, I think we're going to see more teams at all levels offering this stuff as part of their 'product'.

Interestingly, this article on colleges and game used just showed up today: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...e_unfair46654/

The proliferation and availability of game used has actually served to dampen any interest I have in most post 1990 items. I can't imagine the market sustaining any value if there is a constant flux of new items streaming directly to the public. Gone too is some of the allure, the chase, and mystery. Or maybe I'm just unhappy to be back to work after four days.

I hear you brother I am unhappy to be back to work after 1 day off but then again, my job sucks, my career sucks and there is never a happy moment. I would have killed for even a two day weekend.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

One aspect that I don't believe has come up in this discussion is relative rarity. A player who spends a few years in three minor league organizations will probably have worn a dozen jerseys (with even most minor league teams now having home, road, and a couple of alternates - maybe a vest-style jersey and a bp jersey) total. How many years in the Major Leagues is it going to take him to go through a dozen jerseys...two? And if he stays up for 10-15 years, he's going to be generating game-worn jerseys that whole time, but the number of his minor league items is (barring rehab assignments) never going to increase.

I have been collecting Vladimir Guerrero minor league items for quite some time. I have two of his minor league jerseys. I have his 1994 Gulf Coast Expos (Rookie League) jersey that has been photo matched with a couple of Upper Deck cards. I even obtained a letter from the Gulf Coast Expos orginization several years ago when I went down to one of their games and brought the jersey and showed it to one of their executives.

I also have Guerrero's 1995 Albany Polecats (Class A) jersey that has also been photo matched to a couple of ball cards. It comes with a letter from the late great Dick Dobbins who was a mastermind when it came to minor league items.
    Attached Images Attached Images