Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
Robert, I like the hand-written #19 on the back. I was an artistic touch.
yeah, pretty typical of every game photo you see of that era - the colts were really big into scrawling 12" numbers on the back of their "trojan" lids with blue magic marker, eh?

youth helmet? i don''t think so - it's a well made lid. the thing is helmet manufacturers during that era weren't up against the crippling product liability issues of today - as such there were a ton of companies making helmets, quality adult helmets. but not many of them could compete with the riddells, rawlings and wilsons of the world and they rarely (if ever) made it to the big show. one of the nicest, well padded, best made helmets i've ever seen was made by a company called protective products inc. - a handful of pro players sported them for a short while but that was about it. anyway i've never heard of "trojan" before and have never seen an example of a pro wearing a "trojan" lid.

but i would honestly love to be wrong about something like this - i would really love to see just one, one, example of a pro wearing such a helmet. or unitas wearing a macgregor or rawlings. it would be fun and interesting.