Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
My Longoria World Series bat has like 10. I remember Tony Gwynn saying that anything under 15 grains he uses in games and anything above that he saves for BP. Something like that.

Gwynn loved his bats. He said they were his most personal baseball items, even more personal than his glove. In 1994, the year he hit .394, he used one bat for most of the season, an astonishing feat given that bats are broken today more than ever (hitters use as small and as light a bat as possible, with a skinny handle and fat barrel; Pete Incaviglia once broke 144 bats in one season because he simply overpowered his own bats). Gwynn didn't use his favorite bat against really tough left-handed pitchers, such as Jeff Fassero, who might get the split-fingered fastball inside on him, and perhaps break his bat. "I called it 'Seven Grains of Pain' because it was a seven-grain bat," Gwynn said. "The next spring training, I was really struggling, so I brought that bat out again. And I broke it in practice taking BP against Rob Picciolo [the Padres' first-base coach]. I broke it on Field 7."