Bonds tells Pujols to shatter record
Cards slugger cracks 23rd homer; Giants veteran stuck at 714
By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds stand together at first base during Tuesday's game.
(Eric Risberg/AP)

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds led off first base after hitting a single the other night and imparted a few words of encouragement to Albert Pujols, who is on an early pace to break Bonds' single-season home run record. "Shatter it," Bonds, the Giants' lefty-swinging slugger, said he told the Cardinals' first baseman and right-handed power hitter in an interview with MLB.com on Tuesday night. Pujols continued his chase of Bonds' 73-homer 2001 season with a three-run shot in his first appearance against former teammate Matt Morris during the first inning. It was Pujols' 23rd of the season, coming in the team's 46th game. Bonds had the same number in 44 games five years ago.

The homer deep into the left-field bleachers was the first for Pujols at six-year-old AT&T Park, coming in his 59th at-bat since the park opened in 2000.

"I don't play for records," said Pujols after the Cardinals beat the Giants, 8-5. "I play to win. If it comes, it comes." Bonds is still in search of his Babe Ruth-passing 715th homer, having gone three games and 16 plate appearances since tying the Bambino at 714 to lead off the second inning at Oakland on Saturday. Including an RBI single in the first inning, Bonds, 1-for-4 on the night, is 4-for-13 with four walks (three intentional) since he knotted up the Babe. "I think he's putting a little bit too much pressure on himself to hit 715," said Pujols, who was 2-for-5 in the game. "Once he does that, hitting 716 and 717 should be a lot easier."

With defending National League Cy Young Award winner Chris Carpenter going for the Cards against Giants left-hander Noah Lowry in a Wednesday afternoon game after a night game, a decision about whether Bonds would start for the fifth consecutive day was pending, manager Felipe Alou said.
Asked after Tuesday night's game if he expected to play Wednesday, Bonds said: "I don't know."

But before the game, Bonds, 41, said that he's having just as much fun watching the 26-year-old Pujols as he's having in his own pursuit. After all, Bonds has hit just two homers in the Giants' last 19 games and hasn't homered at home since May 2 against the Padres. Pujols has homered in four of his club's last five games.

"I just think the younger guys need that support," Bonds said. "I have to be around for them just like Willie Mays and my father [Bobby Bonds] were around for me. That's what I told [Pujols]. Hey, these records were made to be broken. That's what they're there for. I hope he shatters it. I really do."

Asked how Pujols reacted to the comments, Bonds added: "He said, 'That's very nice of you.' He's a big guy who can really play the game. I'm pulling for him to do all kinds of great things."

It's been a mutual admiration society between Bonds and Pujols this week since the Cardinals came to town for this three-game series. The two have talked on the bases, talked near the batting cage and praised each other to the press.

"Yeah, we talk," Pujols said. "I talked to him a couple of years ago about hitting. I remember talking to him in the weight room about how much better he got hitting against left-handed hitters and some of the tough pitches that they throw. He told me he watched a lot of videotape and that's what helped him.

"He's doing something that's pretty tough to accomplish. I'd like to see him pass Babe Ruth and eventually break Hank Aaron's record. It's unbelievable what he's done in this game. You have 45,000 people at the ballpark every night and we're all here to watch him."

Bonds was 37 years old when he laid waste to Mark McGwire's three-year-old record of 70 homers. McGwire became the first player to hit 70 homers in a single season when he outdueled Sammy Sosa and broke Roger Maris' 37-year-old record of 61 in 1998.

The fact that Pujols, who is only in his sixth season, may not have that kind of experience at this point is meaningless to Bonds, who had 39 homers at the All-Star break in 2001.

"I told him to go for it," Bonds said. "Because this may be his only shot at it. You never know with injuries and everything what lies ahead of anyone."

Asked what kind of advice he gave Pujols, Bonds said the Dominican Republic native didn't need any. "Not from me," Bonds said. "Just play your game, exercise, eat right and stay strong. He's well aware of all those things and what it's going to take for the long run."

For his part, Pujols said he's not concerned about keeping up with the record pace. Winning day in and day out is the most important thing. "What pace are you guys talking about?" he said. "I don't think about it. I'm just doing my job. I just come here every day and try to get ready for the game. I've just been trying to take advantage of the situation. Just trying to get a good pitch to hit and just putting my best swing on it. I'm just looking for ways to help my team win."