Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht
I agree and believe that we are saying the same thing....do your homework. When considering all of the bats listed in the two posts immediately above , many factors must be taken into consideration.....I believe, however, that if these bats were as widely used as some people would have you believe, the evidence would be greater than exists today. As pointed out above, photos of Model 125 bats can be found "all over the place," yet 40k and 250 photos are rarely seen. I suggest that consideration must be given to that fact, as it currently exists. The ledger records referenced in my post comprise ALL of the Hall of Famer records that have been documented to date. Yes, 40k and 250 bats are referenced in them, but look at the numbers -- a couple references for each in over 700 available records.

All I am suggesting is that collectors cannot automatically assume that any bat that has been 'authenticated' as a possible professional bat is automatically that --the evidence isn't there to support such an assumption as reasonable. To the contrary, there is evidence to suggest the opposite -- that the use of 40k and 250 bats in the professional leagues was more of a rarity than being the norm, and likely, from the documented evidence, could not even be termed commonplace.

So again, do your own research.. Are there 40k and 250 and Zinn Beck and Spalding and Kren and Reach and other bats out there that were used by professional players in professional games? Absolutely! Do as many of these professionally-used alternate-brand and alternate-model bats exist as their non-professional (retail) counterparts? The existing evidence is overwhelming that the vast majority of these bats are "non-professional."

So where does that leave the collector? If one is astute and can match up other attributes of a bat with known, documented game -use characteristics of a specific player, documented evidence of ordering patterns in factory records, and manufacturing nuances thought to pertain primarily to professional model bats, then the opportunity exists to find some real gems.

Good luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Well written. Couldnt have said it better myself... Photos and attribution are key... (or Ledgers..but I aint seen 'em... yet )