Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The ethics of flipping an item

I know a few of you collect hockey gamers and if you do, the odds are you may have come across a squabble on another game worn jersey site regarding the immediate flipping of a jersey for very large profit. I'll start by giving you some details:

MeiGray does something I think unique to the hobby. They allow collectors to send in wish lists for jerseys you would be interested in obtaining. They have this list and allow people to submit their wants WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT A DEPOSIT. Now I don't want to go off topic too far here but you really have to admire the fact MeiGray offers this service. MeiGray will contact you, in the order a want has been received when said jersey arrives. Don't like the price, lost interest, can't afford it now? Simply pass and they move on to the next collector on the list.
    So when the NJ Devils announced they would wear their initial NJ colored sweaters (Green rather than black stripes is the main difference really.) Devil collectors I am sure bombarded Barry and Co. with wants for specific players.

So now you know the back story even though it is not essential to the debate at hand. I thought it brought up a great topic for discussion (and admittedly some debate if we are open to listening) so here is the story:

The Devils wore one set of throwback jerseys in 2 games last season. MeiGray had a deal with them to obtain said shirts and market them to the collecting public. It is announced that the set is now available and that they will be contacting previously requested wish lists with first dibs. This is done, jerseys are sold, end of MeiGray participation.

Much like any other team, the NJ Devils have a lot of fans. Let's remember that the word "fan" is short for "fanatic" I honestly believe that while we are fanatical about our teams, the word was shortened because it comes off as a little insane, creepy and scary to say "I have fanatical emotions about this team!!!!" Due to the large pool of Devil fans and the very short number of actual jerseys worn, many people were not able to obtain the jersey they wanted at what I am told were extremely fair prices. Annnnd that's where the drama begins......

Almost 24 hours to the second after they were sold out, one of them was put up for sale at a price that was much higher than the published initial sale price. (There are small details I am omitting like the fact a photomatched stick from the same player and same game was also included and while it seems important, it really isn't relevant to the issue at hand. The player is not top tier and therefore while the stick would be great for a player collector, many jersey collectors have no interest in sticks and vice versa.)

If you are still reading and wondering what the point is, here ya go. I have a lot of opinions to share but I would rather hear yours first. I am going to ask that you NOT hold back your opinions because I think this is one of those major questions in our hobby that is never really answered successfully.

When is flipping a jersey considered unethical? Did the collector really do anything wrong? Do other collectors have any right to be upset?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Re: The ethics of flipping an item

In my opinion, once you own an item, it is yours to do as you wish. Flip it, wear it, use it, cut it up into little pieces for cards (which is a bummer,but still it's their item), give it away, whatever. As long as the item wasn't obtained in an unethical manner ie. stealing or collusion, then everything else is fair game. If you make a buck on an item then good for you.

Almost everything we purchase in our lives is marked up for a profit. That is how business works. Is the person selling the jersey for a profit any different then Mei Grey? Mei Grey purchased the Jersey and immediately sold it for a profit and now so is the person who purchased it from Mei Grey. Just because Mei Grey does this as their sole means of business doesn't make it any better or worse than a collector doing it on the side.

I recently purchased a game used item I had been in search of for a couple of years. I found one I liked, purchased it and then discovered the particular item I purchased was far more significant than either the seller or I thought because of when it was used. It was a rather expensive item (for me anyway) and since the discovery I have had the opportunity to nearly quadruple my investment. If i weren't so attached to the item and if it didn't come from a player that I collect I would sell it in a heartbeat and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Had I been on the other end of that deal and sold something and then the buyer discovered it was far more valuable than what I sold it for and he made a huge profit, I would only be angry at myself for not doing the homework on the item.

I am not saying I am right by any means, this is just how I feel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    When is flipping a jersey considered unethical? Did the collector really do anything wrong? Do other collectors have any right to be upset?
    People will always be jealous, but if someone buys a jersey from MeiGray, and they want to list it for sale at a higher price, they have that right. Free enterprise, fair open market. Two tears in a bucket...

I don't know what the debate it. Do people not like the fact that MeiGray is taking requests to people who may flip an item? They should have emailed MeiGray and asked for the same item if that is an option, and maybe offered more?

I have been a sports memorabilia dealer myself since my mid-teens. I am always looking to buy new inventory by any reasonable and ethical means. Buying from MeiGray fits this category.

Seriously......why wouldn't you want to maximize your potential? I couldn't afford to buy anything for my collection if I wasn't making as much money as possible on the side.

When I buy a coke for 24 cents and sell it for a buck am I doing something unethical and offending the coca cola corporation in any way? I don't think coke has a problem with it!

The previous posters have already covered my thoughts exactly.

I sold a bat that I no longer wanted about a year ago. I recently saw the bat pop up for sale on one of the more popular GU bat sites for double what I sold it for. My first thought--good luck to the new owner, I hope they can make a little money on it (just like I made a little money on the sale).

Additionally, it often goes the other way for collectors. I have bought my fair share of items that I couldn't even get what I originally paid for the item. The market will eventually determine what all our items are worth. MeiGray may have sold below market value, but that isn't the initial buyers problem. I'm sure MeiGray has also sold plenty of items that have lost value almost as soon as it was shipped to the new owner.

I don't think there's ever an instance in which it's not ethical to flip something, unless you've made some sort of special deal with a player or seller. I don't understand how this topic keeps popping up. If I sell a jersey to a buddy and he ends up deciding to sell it for more money, then more power to him. That's 100% his right as owner of the jersey. But, if say David Ortiz gave me something that was specifically for me to have and then I turn around and flip it, I think that's pretty much the unethical side of flipping in my opinion.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Get the $ while you can

I agree, once you own it you are free to do with it whatever you wish. Free enterprise in action!

G79. Are you thinking that its an inside job and that the people that initially end up with the jersey are predetermined before the equipment actually hits the market? In other words it never hits the market for the public. I am in Real Estate in Calif. and this type of thing is an everyday occurance. The banks are getting screwed my friend. Call on any house that is a good deal and its sold. Then its on the market the next week for 50k more and it sells again. Thats business in a nut shell. You asked for an opinion.

I agree that flipping is an ok idea. I think the "ethical" part is sending a "want" list to Mei with the intention of reselling as opposed to keeping the item for your collection and I think it stinks for the common collector. Is there anything Mei can do to prevent the resellers from doing this again? Ban them from submitting "want" lists? Not sure I have the answers, but I see where your point is and it stinks for the true fan.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection