Perhaps Jay Bruce would be the perfect face for a Coca-Cola ad campaign titled simply “Refreshing”. In the midst of what has been a frustrating Reds season, Coca Cola today sponsored a Jay Bruce signing in Newport Kentucky. The signing was not 24 hours removed from Jay vocally praising the teammate hitting in (his) walk-off extra inning run.

All signing participants who lined up and were given wristbands were cautioned that Jay was only available for an hour, and that wristbands were no assurance of getting an autograph. Jay stayed past the hour (on a game day) and signed autographs for each and every wrist-banded fan.

I’m the kind of person that believes in observations. I don’t know Jay Bruce the human being but I can observe him just as I can observe subjects that appear far less honorable. Humble, approachable athletes achieve the support of fans that is more sustainable than a team’s moxy for earn post-season berth. Humility and kindness are character traits, much as an organization possesses a culture. Tonight, when my three year old vocally adored Jay Bruce on TV, Jay’s humility and human kindness of this afternoon were far more important to me than the 2 run 1st inning hit which followed my son’s first (of many) remarks while watching Jay.

In an era in which most athletes are correctly interpreted for their focus on self and money, and where many ball clubs hope to endear life-long fans with experiences, I found the minutes in front of Jay Bruce’s signing booth today ironic. Jay had the care for one common man (not myself) to casually apologize for minor omission in a requested “Player of the Month” inscription, then ask for the game used bat back to add the word “May”. My family had a bat to get signed as well, which he also inscribed with the utmost courtesy.

A promoter / onlooker asked about the Reds Pro Shop. Not wanting to say anything less worthy than Jay Bruce and Coca Cola deserved at the event, I bit my lip and said simply “you don’t want to know.”

To Jay Bruce and Coca-Cola, you are absolute class! Way to hold yourselves to high standards and exceed expectations! Its an honor and a pride each and every time I see my own or others' Jay Bruce game used items. Anybody have any cool Jay Bruce items to show off?

plettner@fuse.net