No, I didn't start a thread just to crow about the Diamondbacks' clinching the NL West title last night - though it was tempting. I actually have a question.

After the mandatory locker room champagne showers and horseplay - all shown on the Jumbotron - a number of the players, first Ryan Roberts and Chris Young, then several others, came back out onto the field and started running up and down the third base line dousing and spraying the fans with champagne and high-fiving everyone. Parra ran all the way out to the left field bleachers - his territory, what they call The State of 8 - to spray chamagne on those folks, too. They were doing this for probably fifteen minutes.

I must confess that I don't spend a lot of time watching other teams' victory celebrations, but is this a common thing now? I'm used to watching the teams celebrate in the locker room, while the fans just wander off to their cars - I can't remember seeing a team actually make a point of involving the fans to this extent.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the Diamondbacks started one new tradition last night that won't be copied in other ballparks: about half the team ran across the field, at one point, climbed a small fence, and jumped into the swimming pool in full uniform.

After the last out, btw, I don't think I've ever seen a team disappear as quickly as the Giants. They evacuated that visitor's dugout like it was on fire.