I had an experience this week that I wanted to share with you all. I was invited over to Wade Boggs’ house to preview and purchase items from his personal collection of memorabilia. Wade is in my top 5, so needless to say, this was very exciting for me in many ways. By default I am a jersey guy, but he dangled so many different pieces (jerseys, bats, gloves, etc.) in front of me that I could have easily spent a small fortune that day.

Not only was Wade incredibly accommodating, both he and his wife were an absolute pleasure to be around. They shared many personal stories with me about his playing days, which I am grateful for. He showed me many of his prized possessions and walked me through his trophy room explaining the significance of his trophies, bats, balls and jerseys.

I purchased a very special jersey that day, one of Wade’s 1983 home jerseys. He only had two of them, and he was willing to let me take one home. Several times he said, “this is one of my prized possessions, I won my first batting title wearing this jersey”. He went on to tell me how he has been presented with over 20 of those jerseys at different card shows, where he was asked to sign them as game used. Time and time again he would tell them that they were fakes and refused to sign them with a game used inscription. He stressed to me that I was holding 1 of 2 of his 1983 home jerseys, and the other one was in his closet along with all of his other 80’s jerseys. He kept them all, every year.

As I departed, we were already talking about our next meeting where he was going to present some more of his prized possessions, including some of his 85 and 86 jerseys.

Please note, I chose to remove the inscription from the picture as it is personal and I do not want to share it for potential forgery attempts.