In viewing the current Premier Auctions website, I came across a Mickey Mantle "autographed jersey".

In viewing the autograph, I had doubts that it was authentic. So I did some verification.

I wanted to let anyone interested in the Mickey Mantle "autographed" jersey currently in Premier Auctions to be aware that it is a definite forgery.

The M&N tag at the bottom was not used on M&N jerseys until 2001, and Mick died in 1995. I confirmed this with M&N and their confirmation is shown below.

This jersey has been certified by Global Authentication (GAI), and they are undisputedly wrong on this one.

If GAI is going to certify an autograph as authentic, they should make sure the autographed item was actually manufactured during the player's lifetime.

Here is the auction link.

http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/process.cfm?lID=7522

Here is the e-mail from M&N, and my inquiry.

Subj: RE: Tagging Question
Date: 2/14/2007 8:42:56 AM Central Standard Time
To:
CC: info@mitchellandness.com

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in Mitchell and Ness. We have been using that tag for all of our MLB throwbacks since 2001. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Andrew Basenfelder
Mitchell and Ness
E-Commerce
Toll Free: 866-879-6485
Direct Line: 215-279-9899
Email: basenfeldera@mitchellandness.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:48 PM
To: Trademark; Info
Subject: Tagging Question

Hello,

Could you please tell me what year(s) this tag was used on your baseball jerseys?

Thank you,