I grew up in the 1960s and early 70's, and remember the hurt of the 1969 Cubs blowing their division lead to the Mets. I recall attending Burt Hooton's no-hitter at Wrigley Field with neighborhood buddies (upper deck cheap seats behind home plate in crappy weather). I recall watching both of Ken Holtzman's no-hitters and Milt Pappas's near perfect game on WGN. I remember how bugged I was when my brother landed tickets for a game in the 1967 World Series at Comiskey Park, and how I rooted for the Sox not to make it when he told me he was taking his girlfriend (who knew nothing about baseball) instead of me (who loved baseball). The Chisox, of course, didn't make it. I remember the 2 games I went to with my Dad in 1966 at Wrigley Field. The Cubs beat the Phillies, and Glenn Beckert's only HR of '66 came in that game. Before that one, they were shut out by Woodie Fryman and the Pirates. Woodie threw a complete game 3-hitter, with Billy Williams getting all 3 hits, and Ron Santo's then-team record hitting streak ending. I also recall retrieving my first ball in that game, a BP foul ball hit by Roberto Clemente that I snuck into a scrum to get...this after Cubs CF Adolfo Phillips tossed me a ball, only to have an older kid stick his mitt in front of me and pimp me. There's plenty more, but this is sufficient for now.

Dave Miedema