Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: 1927 Yankee Ball

If I EVER question an auction in my mind (whether it be a gut feeling or something peculiar in the verbage, scan, feedback etc.), I tell myself I don't need to ask anyone else their opinion....

I already have my answer.

Wouldn't you spend the extra money and have a reserve price on something like this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4
    Wouldn't you spend the extra money and have a reserve price on something like this?
    Again, no.

I tried to list an item with a reserve last month. It cost $40.00 to have a $4000.00 reserve. That is insane. I find no issues with a seller who lists items at low opening bids to let the public set the final price. Remember, this is a public auction - I have no idea if the item is genuine, just I wouldn't base a decision on the fact that they don't have a reserve or a low opening bid price.

I did email the seller asking for more pictures and asking why they do no accept PayPal for payment. The lack of PayPal with only taking money orders is a genuine concern, as a buyer now has no protection.

If your item is genuine you should sleep well using this strategy of a low opening bid since in the long run the public will bid up items and pay reasonable market price.

Now, if you item is determined not to be genuine, I assume that will show in the final strike price also.

Post Re: 1927 Yankee Ball

Yeah I have to agree with you trsent. But still if i had a ball like that i would at least put a buy it now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025
    Yeah I have to agree with you trsent. But still if i had a ball like that i would at least put a buy it now.
    Do you people sell on eBay?

If you put a buy-it-now on an auction with an opening bid of .99 cents (no reserve) once the first bid is placed, the buy-it-now disappears.

Angry Re: 1927 Yankee Ball

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    Do you people sell on eBay?

If you put a buy-it-now on an auction with an opening bid of .99 cents (no reserve) once the first bid is placed, the buy-it-now disappears.
    Do you have quote everything we say.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025
    Do you have quote everything we say.
    Quoting a post you are replying to helps a user following a thread figure out what a reply is in response to. Sorry you take everything so literally. Don't you have school today?

trsent,Let's say the ball is genuine and it's value is close to $15-20,000. I understand your point-letting the market,which is considerable,find this items value-without unneccessary costly safeguards. But if this ball belongs to a family finally deciding to liquidate it's one and only important object,I wouldn't be inclined to "throw it to the crowd" on ebay and see where it lands. $40 is not a lot of money(or more for a higher reserve I imagine)to protect with a reserve something this important. Why? Because on ebay this item could very well settle between $1,500(and I'm being generous) and $12,000. And that's if the right people see it. If you were going to an auction house wouldn't you be paying them a percentage plus costs? So whats $40 or more to protect-and again if it's real-this very important item. Oh,and I was home sick today(note upon request).
    Robert
    ( Tom Hagen: Mr.Woltz,I'm a lawyer. I have not threatened you...by the way,I admire your pictures very much.)

Joel-In all this excitement I forgot to mention the biggest problem I have with this item-a 3 day auction.
    Robert

Banned

I don't get the Tom Hagen line, did I miss that movie?

I understand your point, but not everyone uses reserves. It is not our business or a reasonable factor to determine if an item is genuine or not.

I can understand any other thinking, and my point about not accepting PayPal is a big deal for a 3-day auction of an item. I did email the seller, I am still awaiting a reply.