Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

I have several pieces in my collection. I have a couple of original pieces by Darryl Vlasak along with a very unique Mickey Mantle piece. This item is 40 x 49 and is made up of neary 2,700 different Topps mico baseball cards. When right up on the item it looks like a bunch of different cards but as you get about 4 feet or further away the famous image of Mickey Mantle and his #7 appear from the backgrounds of the cards. This piece was the first one that this artist did and there were only 7 ever made. I am not sure how the artist did it but it is really cool looking. I know the same artist did a Babe Ruth one and it sold for over $8,000 in the December Lelands auction.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: OT - Sports Paintings & Illustrations

How my Mantle painting is evolving, hoping to be done with it this week

Original image:

Need to make the face a lot more realistic and then will make the bat look more realistic too!

I have enough trouble affording the things I currently collect. I love art and baseball but cannot afford to indulge both. I really enjoy vintage baseball photography which is about as close as my budget lets me come to art. I do have one piece of original comic art depicting Clemente. Revolutionary comics came out with a Clemente issue in 1992. I am a huge Clemente fan so on a whim I called the company and asked if I could purchase a page. They said sure and asked me which I wanted. I purchased this splash page for $100.00. I think it was the best in the book and now wish I had bought more of them. Nonetheless it is cool to own a one of a kind item featuring the great one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey all,

I haven't posted anything here in a while, so for those of you who are interested, here's some of the stuff I've finished since:

Lou Gehrig, 1925, 16" x 20"

Stan Musial, 1942, 16" x 20"

Mickey Mantle, April 14, 1951, 9" x 12"

Willie Mays, 1955, 9" x 12"

Derek Jeter, 200, 11" x 14"

Babe Ruth, June 25, 1920, 28" x 50"

Babe Ruth, November 4, 1934, 50" x 64"

Roger Maris, October 1, 1961, 38" x 52"

And a few random in-progresses:

Mickey Mantle, May 14, 1955, 9" x 12"

Red Ruffing, 1936, 16" x 20"

Babe Ruth, 1918, 30" x 34"

Lou Gehrig, 1938, 18" x 24"

Hope y'all dig 'em!!

Graig

Graig,
    Simply beautiful... I love the faces... the eyes are so deep...

but someone said it about a previous painting of yours... The Maris and the Ruths below... I feel like they are moving... you really capture the feel of the action... it is almost like I am there...

Beautiful work
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Bert,

Thank you SO much for your kind words. If you feel like you're actually in the Stadium and all, then I definitely feel like I've done my job (no matter how much my gut tells me otherwise).

I'm so glad you're enjoying it all!

Graig

Hey guys,

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and are looking forward to the start of 2012.

I think my New Years resolution is to get the majority of the unfinished paintings out of my studio (especially those that were commissioned).

Here are a few that are ready to leave...

Johnny Evers, 1907, 16" x 20"

Babe Ruth, 1918, 30" x 34"

Babe Ruth, 1924, 16" x 20"

Lou Gehrig, 1938, 18" x 24"

Jackie Robinson, August 28, 1949, 46" x 56"

Mets, October 25, 1986, 30" x 45"

And man, I never realized how much Evers looks like Stan Laurel in that image. What a jaw that man had!!

Anywho, I hope y'all dig 'em. And if ya do, come check me out on Facebook, too! Comments/crits/laughs/stories are ALWAYS appreciated.

Graig