I think its important that collector's really understand how Taube and MEARS grade bats. Both of their sites have an outline of what each grade means and how they arrive at a final grade. If you are a bat collector, you really should review those sites when you are looking at ( 1 ) either sending a bat in for grading, or ( 2 ) are considering buying a bat with one of their COAs. Whether you agree with how they grade, is up to you as a collector. Collecting is very personal - and a bat that I may love based on use, etc., may not be something another collector likes. Sometimes too much use with deadwood and heavy - heavy cracks, will deter someone from buying the bat.

Personally - I can see how deadwood on a bat could reduce the final grade. My perfect bat is one that is uncracked and shows tons of tar and use without any deadwood. I have good friends who will return a bat immediately if it has deadwood on it. Others believe deadwood shows that there is a lot of use in the hitting area and love it.

I think what is important as a collector is ( 1 ) understand how MEARS and Taube grade ( 2 ) make sure you get more detail on the bat, such as deadwood, cracks, tape, tar, imperfections, numbers, atributes, etc. - find out the "details behind the grade", and ( 3 ) make a determination whether the bat is acceptable to you as a collector.

I don't always agree with Taube and MEARS on grades - and sometimes there are differences in how Taube and MEARS look at the same bat - but to me, I don't even look at the "number grade" a bat is assigned. I find out what is important to me about the bat and make the final determination on whether or not I want to buy the bat.

Jim