Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Anybody wear any of your game worn items?

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Suave -

That is a fair comment based on when I posted. However, I was writing my post when you posted that answer - and since this forum does NOT allow edits, I was unable to correct that. I did see your post after I finished writing and posting mine.

My one Pet Peeve here - no editing. If there was, I would have addressed and corrected that statement after seeing yours.

My apologies on that issue - however (again) you are making assumptions about when and where I 'wear' my jerseys ('I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas') ...

Also (again, the elitist theme here), I didn't know that unless I hermetically seal up the jersey as soon as I get it (and yes, I am being sarcastic - not literal) then I'm not 'appreciating' the jersey to YOUR standards.

And I'm confused... 1st you say the Ryan and McCovey examples are the SAME as far as another person wearing it and then you say the exact opposite a paragraph later stating passed down jerseys have stayed in the game???

And 'you and me are not part of the game'... I have worked in the past for Nike, Rawlings and the Rockies - maybe not as a Player/Coach, but I have been a 'part of the game'... but that's Apples to Oranges comparison I admit... but Ryan's son NEVER played in the Major's, so how is he 'part of the game'??? Are you saying that if I was a promising prospect and a Rockies player invited me to work out at Coors Field and lent me a GU Jersey that I have NOT doctored or altered that jersey in your eyes while I worked out in it - even though I'm NOT an MLB player or 'part of the game'?

I'm really not trying to nitpick here, but I would really like some clarification on where the NON 'wearers' draw the line...because it seems to be quite gray in some areas...

For me, it's pretty B&W - I either buy a GU with the intention of wearing it or not. Because I tried on my Walker '97 MVP jersey ONCE for about 10 minutes at my house before putting it on a Mannequin doesn't change ANYTHING about the jersey or it's Provenance.

Things do change - I bought my 2000 Holliday GU to wear - and I did to about 5 games (for pregame - then I get food and the jersey goes in a plastic bag inside my bag for the game) and then Matt's star started to rise. At that point, the jersey hit the Mannequin side of my basement. Same with my Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' MiLB jersey - worn to 2 July 4th games (again Pre game) been on a hanger in the locker since 2006.

Helton GU - inscribed to me directly from Todd - alwasy been on a hanger or mannequin - but again, like the Walker it spent about 5-10 minutes on my back before being sent to the display arena.

My Baker was like $25 or $50 - WAYYYY cheaper than a freaking 'Authentic', so YES it was bought with the sole purpose of being worn.

And just from my personal experiences - Holliday, Atkins and Baker ALL thought it was cool that I had chosen to buy a GU jersey of theirs to wear and show support for the team. I don't know about other players, but my experiences have all been positive.

I guess I don't only have to worry about you NOT buying from me - you probably WON'T sell to me either ('I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it') because apparently I have no appreciation of my collection since I wear some jerseys. You probably assume that I also play catch with my Vintage and Auto balls and bats and still put my cards in the spokes of my kids bikes... and I guess wearing the jersey (as someone else said - also sarcastically) must wear the GU off of the jersey?.?.

As far as that selling statement, you can say 'you reserve the right to refuse service' but it reads to me more like intolerance - again referencing what I percieve as an elitist attitude toward collectors who don't collect exactly like you and others here.

It's the differences that should make the hobby great, but intolerance even permeates the collecting world. If you have a better word than intolerance - based on the FACTUAL statements you and others have made in this thread - I would love to hear it.

Because again, while some have agreed - it's yours, do with it as you please - and some have agreed that they are 'wearers', an 'elite few' (if you will) have SLAMMED those who are 'wearers' for admitting it, doing it, and being involved in it. Hmmmm - still sounds like good ole American 'INTOLERANCE'... I'm sure I don't need to name referances to other things parts of the population haven't tolerated over the years...
    xpress34...thanks for getting into this as you have.

I was unable to post a response to Nate's earlier comment ("shouldn't be in" the hobby...etc) until now. I too, was offended by this comment. I thought it was an over-arching, denounciation of those collectors that have a differing view to him.

Like you, I have nothing against anyone on the forum, nor do I wish to start anything. I won't let such a comment linger with me; but I do wish to back you up, say thanks for your feedback, and also that it is my opinion, there is indeed room in the hobby for both perspectives on this issue.

I will continue to wear my inexpensive, sized-appropriate, gamers to MLB games (even these, I wouldn't risk to wash the car etc. as I want to wear them again and again). This approach brings me closer to the game and makes me appreciate the hobby even more, as I am no major leaguer, but can experience just a tiny bit of what it would feel like to be a part of that circle. Much better in my estimation that just framing an item and looking at it when I am in my office (I do this too).

I will continue to love the hobby and respect the collecting habits of others, no matter how bizzare they may appear to me.

If I ever sell one of my Game Worn-then-ME-worn items, I agree it would be fair to mention the fact that it I am a "wearer".

My name - Chris Wood
    Ebay handle - stealhome1

Thanks!
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer, the fact that you did not mention additional information about your wearing habits towards that jersey leaves me with a troublesome mindset. I agree with former posters, that these types of descriptions are a must when one wishes to sell a gamer.

To the OP: I myself, have never worn a gamer for sake of wearing it, simply for the curiosity of how I might look in one. Because I hold this idea, it is completely reasonable to not include this type of information when attempting to sell a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Instanton View Post
    Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer, the fact that you did not mention additional information about your wearing habits towards that jersey leaves me with a troublesome mindset. I agree with former posters, that these types of descriptions are a must when one wishes to sell a gamer.

To the OP: I myself, have never worn a gamer for sake of wearing it, simply for the curiosity of how I might look in one. Because I hold this idea, it is completely reasonable to not include this type of information when attempting to sell a piece.
    Instanton-

When were we in a deal for you to purchase my Atkins gamer? The only place I have even mentioned it might be available - and I didn't even get to a full description because my post was removed - was here in the Classifieds. My post was removed because I simply started with a list and missed in the rules that no item over $500 could be listed in the classifieds.

Other than that, it has been listed in list form once on Craig's List here in Denver and on the Memorabilia site on Sports Card Forum (SCF). And I have been very open about the jersey, where it was obtained, the fact I had worn it a couple of times, etc when someone wrote asking for more information on it.

I'm just wondering when and where we were in negotiaions as I have only had one serious interest in it over the years and that was a gentleman here in Denver who knows the jersey very well - his last name is Atkins as well (not Garrett) - and he collects Atkins stuff pretty heavily...

Please enlighten me on your board name and site that we were in negotiations to make a deal... if that information hadn't been sent to you, I probably ahd the jersey (as stated earlier) listed in a list of available jerseys and we hadn't gotten past how much and any coa/loa to have any serious discussions.

Any info would be appreciated...

All the best -

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Look xpress, so I worded a statement wrong. We feel differently about our collection. I already apologized if I offended anyone. You've expressed several times now that that particular quote bothered you. I got the picture the first time you posted that.

One time, a dealer that has/sells many bats once called bats a piece of lumber. Maybe I worded my opinion incorrectly. I feel if someone calls a bat a piece of lumber, especially a big dealer, probably shouldnt be in the hobby anymore. We have different ways we treat our collections, obviously. You guys wear/use yours. I do not.

I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Thats that.
    Nate -

Like I told someone on the Manny thread - we have different opinions and get heated about it - isn't that why we love the game?

No hard feelings and again apologies for any bad taste I may have left with you.

All the best -

Chris

Well, I guess I can say that I thought the introductory price was suitable and I thought it to be a price that I would take it for, had it not been for problems mentioned in that email. It was for my Sky Sox thread in the Items Wanted.

Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer...
    Instanton -

Actually, my apologies I did find where I sent you the basic info for these items in your thread a while back... and you are correct and it was MY oversite that I did not do more detailed descriptions - I was simply trying to get a list off to you and I did note at the bottom of the post (quoted here for transparency) for you to - "Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss pricing and such..." - I vaguely remember your eMail - you said you were really only interested in the Helmet and you would let me know in a 'fortnight' (that part stood out) and I never heard anything else from you about either piece...

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I'm not sure how much you are looking to spend, but I have TWO GAME USED Sky Sox pieces I am looking to sell.

(ALL Pictures are CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS to the Original Larger Image)

A 2004 Batting Helmet (Dual Ear Flaps)

I obtained the Helmet from a friend of mine in the Springs who use to know the Equipment Mgr.

Garrett Atkins 2004 'Stars and Stripes' Jersey - AUTOGRAPHED

The Jersey was purchased directly from the Sky Sox at Security Field on the Final Day of the 2004 Season. They sold ALL of the Stars and Stripes Jerseys from the July 4th Game in the Team Store at the Stadium.

I had Garrett sign it in September 2004 after his call up to the Rockies.

I also have a 2004 Rockies GU Atkins hat with the American Flag Patch (It had to be the Labor Day weekend series) which may have been the weekend Garrett got called up since the SkySox season ends in August. It has Rockies LOA.

Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss pricing and such...All the best -

Chris
    xpress34@comcast.net
    Anything else you care to provide would be welcomed by me.

- Chris

Instanton -

I no longer have your eMails archived - I just checked, but - if memory serves - I offered you the Helmet @ $75 and the Jersey I believe I told you $450 - just to get negotiations and talks going and that is when you responded you were really looking for a Joe Koshansky jersey but you did have some interest in the helmet and would let me know within a 'fortnight'.

We never had any further communication past that regarding condition, LOA/COA, etc...

If I am mistaken on any of this, please correct me as that is honestly what I remember of it as I was looking to sell it to raise money for Christmas.

- Chris

P.S. - for those wondering - NO, I have never worn the Helmet or the Hat.

My apologies if I did not respond within the time that I intended. I did not mention as to why the jersey was (while my high interest) not my primary goal to attain from you? Well, the price was above what I wished to give at that time, but nevertheless, it was an item that I hoped that I could obtain. I must emphasize that I truly thought that I forwarded an email with regards to the helmet: I would only purchase the helmet if you could or perhaps know one that would sell full Sky Sox unis. (as I am now in a phase to obtain or have the ability to obtain full uniforms).

If I may add: Because of this phase, the Atkins jersey would now only be a sure deal if you had the pants...

My apologies if I did not respond within the time that I intended. I did not mention as to why the jersey was (while my high interest) not my primary goal to attain from you? Well, the price was above what I wished to give at that time, but nevertheless, it was an item that I hoped that I could obtain. I must emphasize that I truly thought that I forwarded an email with regards to the helmet: I would only purchase the helmet if you could or perhaps know one that would sell full Sky Sox unis. (as I am now in a phase to obtain or have the ability to obtain full uniforms).
    It's all good. I still have the helmet if your get interested again. And NO, I have NOT worn it.

I never had the opportunity to obtain pants from the Sky Sox - plus, pants have never been something I have looked to pursue. Don't know why, just never have.

The reason you gave (as stated a post or so back) was something about being more interested in obtaining a Koshansky jersey. I apologize that was all I remembered.

After I didn't hear back from you, I probably trashed the eMails as it appeared from my side that you no longer had any interest in the items.

Hope all is well with your collection and if you're ever heading to Thornton, drop me a line if you'd like to see the helmet and jersey 1st hand.

- Chris