Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Playoff jersey more valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    What does everyone think are the top three most famous post season jerseys (whereabouts known or not known) in the hobby?

That come directly to mind are these

1) The Jersey Reggie Jackson wore hitting the 3 homers
    2) The Jersey Bill Mazerowski wore hitting the Home Run
    3) The Jersey Bobby Richardson wore to set the record for the most home runs in a World Series - And Matsui's Jersey that tied it.
    4) Mookie Wilson & Bill Buckners Jersey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    In the old days, on a few occasions postseason jerseys would be marked accordingly in tagging. Some exampes:

2000 White Sox ALDS (home and road), detailed tail tag.
    1986 Mets (year tag...no such tag in regular season jerseys)
    1981 Dodgers (same as above)
    1979 Angels (same as above...all three were made by Goodman)
    1986 Astros (Rawlings set 2 1986 flag tag...Goodman made regular season unies)
    1950 Yankees (51 year tag, and no AL 50th Anniversary patch on left sleeve)
    1984 Cubs NLCS (85 year tag and round patch/imprint on right sleeve)

Also, I defer to Lon or Charles and their niche expertise on the Giants to ask whether or not any Giants 1972 tagged flannels were worn in the 1971 NLCS.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    The 1986 Astros Playoff jerseys are some of the rarest in my opinion. I did a lot of research on these a few years ago. Based on color photographs from that series I have collected, there are very slight variations in the jerseys (trim width, star location, etc) that indicate that some guys used the regular season Goodman's while others used the special Rawlings.

Also, in 2005, the Astros added WS patches to one set of regular season jerseys. In fact, the road greys that were worn in the World Series were worn in the 2005 NLDS and 2005 NLCS, with the patch being added hours before the start of WS Game 1 in Chicago. I have a couple of 2005 World Series jerseys that are destroyed with use, yet have a crisp WS patch.

Thanks,

Banned

Chris;

There was a time about 20 years ago or more that Murf Denny had nearly the whole run of 'em, but he didn't know just what they were made for (in that era, I don't think anyone did).

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Ruth's "called shot"

Fisk

Gibson
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Interesting topic, as I have a 1981 (strike shortened season) tagged Wayne Gross Oakland A's game jersey. That was the year the A's were in the ALCS with the Yankees. It was also a single season style. Always wondered how that impacted value. L.Always wondered how that impacted value. C.S.

interesting thread. . . if you apply this question to college football jerseys, a bowl game jersey will typically command a premium of 3 to 4 times that of a regular season jersey in my experience
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Being a tiger fan, to me, without a doubt post season jerseys are more valuable. Now days, the market is flooded w/ tigers jerseys, but their post season appearances are few (very few!!). You still never see tigers world series or playoff jerseys hit the market...to me an easy 2 to 3 times the value.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    What does everyone think are the top three most famous post season jerseys (whereabouts known or not known) in the hobby?
    Here are mine in no particular order:

The jersey Bill Buckner wore when the ball went through his legs in the 86 World Series.

The jersey that Don Larsen wore for his perfect game, the only ever in the WS.

The jersey that Manny Ramirez wore in the 2004 World Series. Yes there was no amazing moment but he was the MVP of Boston's first WS win in over 85 years, which is longer than the average person lives.