Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rick Ankiel's Game winning splash hit!

This past weekend I worked out a deal to add Rick Ankiel's "...biggest homer of my career by far." ball to my collection. Only the second post season splash hit in the history of the park and Rick's only playoff homer and possibly last hit as a Brave. It was retrieved by the same man that caught Bonds 660 and 661.

Only question is whether to get it signed or not.

Between the ball, my USA jersey and rookie year glove, I'm not sure which is my favorite!

Of course I won't have it in hand until it is paid off!

I found a great pic to frame with it. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Rick Ankiel's Game winning splash hit!

Incredible, how where you able to get the ball and find out who retrieved it and such?

Great pick up! I got to talk to Rick for a bit after the NLDS game 4 loss. He is a nice guy and I would like to see him come back next season, but unfortunately he won't be back.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

I seen it posted in a Braves forum that he had the ball and had it up at auction with a pretty high reserve. Shot an offer and he accepted. He tried to get it signed before the Braves left town but didn't have any luck.

I'd like to see them bring him back on the cheap if they could. He'll be fighting for part time duty next year. If he doesn't find a job, I guess I'll have his last career HR. Id be ok with that.

Do you get a have a notarized letter and photo of the guy holding the ball after retrieving it or anything or something to match up to photos or video of the person retreiving it. Provenance is really important on HR balls.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Do you get a have a notarized letter and photo of the guy holding the ball after retrieving it or anything or something to match up to photos or video of the person retreiving it. Provenance is really important on HR balls.

Dave

Yes it is coming with a letter from him. I can even photo match his kayak if I need to Not something I plan on selling. The guy has caught many hr's that have brought big bucks. He got 17,000 for Bonds 661. If he's gonna rip me for less than a grand for an Ankiel HR so be it.

Joe, I'd get the Ankiel ball signed. I got Rick to sign the bat he used to hit the HR in his "comeback" game as an outfielder, and I've never regretted it. The team LOA is good, the photo match is better, but the signature and notation is icing on the cake.

Awesome p/u cigar. I hope he comes back, hes a ball player. Not many guys can say they have done what he has.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Joe, I'd get the Ankiel ball signed. I got Rick to sign the bat he used to hit the HR in his "comeback" game as an outfielder, and I've never regretted it. The team LOA is good, the photo match is better, but the signature and notation is icing on the cake.

Oh Jeff you never stop teasing me with that bat! One day I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!

Im going to get in contact with Rick and tell him what I have. Id like to have it signed "2010 NLDS GW Splash Hit" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman44 View Post
    If he's gonna rip me for less than a grand for an Ankiel HR so be it.
    I think you did great! That price sounds super fair to me given the historic nature of it and the provenance.

What auction did he have it on?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500