Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Pujols 2002 Rawlings - Important Please read!

Here are two photos side by side.

The area of around the red ring appears to have more darker grain on the BPH Pujols verses the Bert Pujols.

Additionally the knob on the Bert Pujols appears to have marks and usage. The BPH bat was taped on the knob which would make the handle cleaner if the tape had been removed.

Just my observations. I'll add my opinion that based on the grain marks around the ring these are not the same bats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I'm getting to this party a little late, as the original posts were written well after my bedtime

I just wanted to make two quick points. First, add my voice to those who count Bert as a stand-up guy, as honest as the day is long.

Second, Bert is right on the money when he says that Albert's bats sometimes feature sharp, well defined lines from a tar rag.

Notice the lines on my 2005 SAM, one down by the grip, the other above the logo. Those are rag lines.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ujols+rawlings

According to this thread the 2002 Pujols was still on BPH's inventory as of July 2008 and at the same time Bert mentioned he was in possession of a 2002 Rawlings Pujols. Assuming Bert is referring to the 2002 bat he just sold on ebay I'm not sure how the BPH bat can be the same one.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Is it just me or does it look the barrel of the top bat had tape on it at one time?

Because there is an noticeable change in color as it goes from light to dark around around the "L and S" in "Pujols"

This might just be from the wood grain or it may have come from tape being on the barrel then being removed.

Just a thought (And sorry if this was already mentioned)
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

As Jeff stated Pujols typically used Rawlings during BP but to a lesser extent in game situations in 2001 and 2002. This would certainly explain why the end of the barrel looked like it was taped at one point. The Rawlings may have been a BP bat promoted to a gamer. Bert indicated both green BP ball marks and dark game colored ball marks on this bat too.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ujols+rawlings

According to this thread the 2002 Pujols was still on BPH's inventory as of July 2008 and at the same time Bert mentioned he was in possession of a 2002 Rawlings Pujols. Assuming Bert is referring to the 2002 bat he just sold on ebay I'm not sure how the BPH bat can be the same one.

That is correct David. I was looking at the bat on BPH's site as a potential addition to my collection. As I remember, it was just under $700 and even for a BP bat, it seemed like a cool item of Albert's to have.

I also remember Bert's bat on his website saying that his Rawlings had "BP AND Game use".
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here was Pujols this year. 3 bats out on that tarp for his BP session. One was taped and 2 were not.

What I noticed about Bert's bat is it looks like it had possibly a weighted sleeve or donut impression just above the Rawlings "R". Now that was 2002, I observed Albert's 2010 BP session and he swung around a weighted steel bat and didn't put a donut or sleeve on his BP bat warming up.

Name:  Pujols_BP_NatsPark_2010.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  11.6 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

A closeup of this tape job for reference this past season.

Name:  Pujols_BP_NatsPark_2010_a.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  97.0 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    That is correct David. I was looking at the bat on BPH's site as a potential addition to my collection. As I remember, it was just under $700 and even for a BP bat, it seemed like a cool item of Albert's to have.

I also remember Bert's bat on his website saying that his Rawlings had "BP AND Game use".

I notice some differences in the amount of tar around the lower handle area between the two bats which I circled also.

So given the physical differences between the BPH bat and the Bert bat and the fact that BPH had this very bat in their inventory while Bert had possession of his, can we all draw the conclusion that there is no way the BPH bat was the bat in Bert's auction?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    I'm getting to this party a little late, as the original posts were written well after my bedtime

I just wanted to make two quick points. First, add my voice to those who count Bert as a stand-up guy, as honest as the day is long.

Second, Bert is right on the money when he says that Albert's bats sometimes feature sharp, well defined lines from a tar rag.

Notice the lines on my 2005 SAM, one down by the grip, the other above the logo. Those are rag lines.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Rick,

Good information. Check out the handle on the Bert bat and you can see some staining on the area which would have been covered by tape on the BPH bat. One would expect to see a clean area under tape after the tape is removed.
    metsbats86@aol.com