Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Paragon Auctions,friend Or Foe ?

Auction houses don't take credit cards for two reasons. Take away the 3-5% that the auction house would absorb but it's also a two way street in regards to scamming. Merchants that take credit cards lose a substantial amount of money because of scammers that use stolen credit cards and those charges are charged back to the merchant. Most people that have had their credit card number stolen aren't even aware of it unitl 30-45 days later when they see it on their statement. By then the item has been shipped and it's too late for the auction house.

All a bidder would have to do if he was unhappy with an item or wanted to just cheat the auction houser is to dispute it and it's up to the merchant to prove their case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    I have an never will buy from an auction house who does not take credit cards. It just does not make sense in my opinion as a buyer to put yourself in a situtation where you are not protected against scammers. In this day and age especially as the economy gets worse the con artists come out of the woodwork.

No saying anything about Paragon directly.

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    Auction houses don't take credit cards for two reasons. Take away the 3-5% that the auction house would absorb but it's also a two way street in regards to scamming. Merchants that take credit cards lose a substantial amount of money because of scammers that use stolen credit cards and those charges are charged back to the merchant. Most people that have had their credit card number stolen aren't even aware of it unitl 30-45 days later when they see it on their statement. By then the item has been shipped and it's too late for the auction house.

All a bidder would have to do if he was unhappy with an item or wanted to just cheat the auction houser is to dispute it and it's up to the merchant to prove their case.
    Ya, but God forbid we purchase an item that we later find to be a fake and then we get the shaft! Heritage is the biggest auction house and they take any payment humanly possible; paypal,cc checks! I too believe they should just add the 3 or 5 % charge.Thats the price of doing business. In any case,waiting now on almost 3 weeks to get my stuff is not acceptable, at least not for me !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyla2000 View Post
    Ya, but God forbid we purchase an item that we later find to be a fake and then we get the shaft! Heritage is the biggest auction house and they take any payment humanly possible; paypal,cc checks! I too believe they should just add the 3 or 5 % charge.Thats the price of doing business. In any case,waiting now on almost 3 weeks to get my stuff is not acceptable, at least not for me !
    I'm confused, you sent an international money order and expect to receive your merchandise the next day? Have you called this company to talk to them to sort this out?

I also think your time frame is a bit exaggerated. Three weeks? You paid a month after the auction, and you expect the merchandise to be there two days later because you gave them a FedEx account number?

What do they say when you call them? Maybe Keith has been on vacation or holiday or whatever because payment came in late maybe they didn't get it? Maybe they hold international money orders for 2-4 weeks.

I get the credit card concerns, but they do not charge a buyer's premium, so that is their excuse. You knew these terms when you placed your bids.

Your argument that if you find something to be fake is fine, but a credit card company will only protect you for 30-90 days. I would rather pay with a credit card and get miles and be sure to receive my merchandise. I know this going in when I place my bids with auctions such as Hunt and Paragon.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I'm confused, you sent an international money order and expect to receive your merchandise the next day? Have you called this company to talk to them to sort this out?

I also think your time frame is a bit exaggerated. Three weeks? You paid a month after the auction, and you expect the merchandise to be there two days later because you gave them a FedEx account number?

What do they say when you call them? Maybe Keith has been on vacation or holiday or whatever because payment came in late maybe they didn't get it? Maybe they hold international money orders for 2-4 weeks.

I get the credit card concerns, but they do not charge a buyer's premium, so that is their excuse. You knew these terms when you placed your bids.

Your argument that if you find something to be fake is fine, but a credit card company will only protect you for 30-90 days. I would rather pay with a credit card and get miles and be sure to receive my merchandise. I know this going in when I place my bids with auctions such as Hunt and Paragon.
    payment was rec. march 24 and today is april 11 still nada.Do the math! Yes after payment is rec. I expect my items within a week because I ask it to be sent overnite. Payment was 9 days late and who holds checks for 2 to 4 weeks. I dont know who you have dealt with but I have dealt with everyone;Hunts,AM,HUGGINS(one of the best I may add) LEGENDARY,LELANDS,HERITAGE,SOUTHEBY(who dont do sports anymore) amd never has anyone held my cheks for 10 days, so please dont talk out of your ass! Everyones input in this thread has been helpfull and polite. THAT IS UNTILL YOU ! TAKE YOUR AIRMILES AND TAKE A LONG TRIP !!!!!!

Banned

payment was rec. march 24 and today is april 11 still nada.Do the math! Yes after payment is rec. I expect my items within a week because I ask it to be sent overnite. Payment was 9 days late and who holds checks for 2 to 4 weeks. I dont know who you have dealt with but I have dealt with everyone;Hunts,AM,HUGGINS(one of the best I may add) LEGENDARY,LELANDS,HERITAGE,SOUTHEBY(who dont do sports anymore) amd never has anyone held my cheks for 10 days, so please dont talk out of your ass! Everyones input in this thread has been helpfull and polite. THAT IS UNTILL YOU ! TAKE YOUR AIRMILES AND TAKE A LONG TRIP !!!!!!
    Why so hostile? You sent an international money order, which are known for being used fraudulently which is the only excuse I can imagine.

You didn't answer my question, did you call them about your concerns or did you just come on here and attack them first?

I just can't imagine why they would hold your items hostage on you unless there is more to the story. Keith Vari knows the auction business and this doesn't sound like his actions unless there is more to the story. If I find the time, I'll try to contact him about this tomorrow to hear if he wishes to make a statement about it.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Why so hostile? You sent an international money order, which are known for being used fraudulently which is the only excuse I can imagine.

You didn't answer my question, did you call them about your concerns or did you just come on here and attack them first?

I just can't imagine why they would hold your items hostage on you unless there is more to the story. Keith Vari knows the auction business and this doesn't sound like his actions unless there is more to the story. If I find the time, I'll try to contact him about this tomorrow to hear if he wishes to make a statement about it.
    YA you know us Canadians,always using phoney money orders? I will say it for the last time and then this subject is over! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER has an auction co. Ive dealt with held my money order for 10 days or ignored 6 emails.. Im sure it will come not sure if i will deal with them again!

Banned

YA you know us Canadians,always using phoney money orders? I will say it for the last time and then this subject is over! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER has an auction co. Ive dealt with held my money order for 10 days or ignored 6 emails.. Im sure it will come not sure if i will deal with them again!
    So, when you called the auction house, what was their response?

I know if I email someone six times who has my money, I call them concerned maybe my emails are going to their SPAM folder.

No, not all international money orders have issues, but they are risky for anyone to take since there are bad ones out there and they take too long to clear.

I don't doubt you are 100% legitimate and your intentions were genuine. I just don't understand why you came on here without even making a phone call to the auction house.

Keith from Paragon Auctions gave me the tracking number and it went out on April 7th via Fed Ex International.

It is scheduled for delivery today. The tracking number 4072 8546 8280.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

An additional message from Keith:

Perry, As far as you questioning me holding a check for 10 days I just had an international check bounce on day 13 and I sent his package out on day 11. Luckily for me he made good on the check. I do the auction by myself with just some help with catalog and photography.
    Thank you,
    Keith
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I got a personal call from Keith last evening letting me know my auction lot went out yesterday and I'll be receiving it tomorrow. I also got an automated email from UPS too.

Again, if Keith is running it by himself pretty much, there were A LOT of consignments for his first auction and I'm sure he's been working his tail off since it closed. I paid via check and since my winning lot was in the thousands, I asked Keith for a huge favor if I could wait a couple days after the cut-off and post-date my check since I had more funds coming in. He graciously said no problem and while my bank debited the check on 3/22, 10 days would've put it middle of last week.
    Sure, I wanted my item ASAP too, but understanding that Paragon IS NOT GFC, REA, Lelands, etc that have a whole staff of many, I think the auction went over great, some nice lots and I'll be getting the jersey I've been looking for a long time tomorrow!! Can't wait

As a lot of posts that condemn auction houses, I never understood while people don't call?? Sure, email is more convenient this day and age, but for serious matters, calling is always the best way to resolve a major issue.

I understand your frustration Dirty, but I personally would've only posted this thread AFTER I've called and tried every possible avenue. To each his own, but good luck...