Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
    Namath Jets 1972
    Namath Jets 1973

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The first photo looks like a durene body jersey with sewn on numbering. The second and third shirts look like a match with the white top stitching on the green shoulder panel. Although the 1972 photo does have a cut sleeve, which could lean this being a 1973 issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
    Namath Jets 1972
    Namath Jets 1973

Jim

Jim,

Of the three photos you posted, only the middle one is a Champion jersey w/ silk screened numbers....again, this one has the modified sleeves vs. the one being auctioned...

I've referenced additional photos from the period when the jersey would have been received by the consignor...still couldn't match the sleeves as ALL photos of Namath wearing a mesh Champion jersey with silk screened name and numbers, whether its a home or away jersey, pre-season or regular season have the modified sleeves...

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted this already. Sleeves appear unaltered. Click video box upper-left to play.
    http://www.commercialcloset.org/comm...ClientID=11064

Unless, someone can show Namath wearing this in a game, I would have to say this is a team issued jersey...in this era, Namath was extremley popular and I'm sure there were alot of requests for his jerseys....here is another current example of this style Namath jersey...again, no alterations to the sleeves...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...0&s=&offset=20

Okay, now this is from 1974, you can see that there is no nameplate, BUT the sleeves are uncut and everything else looks good in the video below. I believe the shirt in the 8D auction is a 1973 as the nameplate is present on the back. The link is from week 3 of the 1974 season, Namath close up at about 0:28 seconds in. Looks like by week 4 from this year Namath had started cutting the sleeves again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrClintL...33/Mct7TbUNwFc

invintagewetrust....nice work!!! That's the DEFINITIVE answer....Namath did wear the unaltered sleeves in game action...thanks for finding this....

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    invintagewetrust....nice work!!! That's the DEFINITIVE answer....Namath did wear the unaltered sleeves in game action...thanks for finding this....
    Ok...it's way to early and I didn't read invintagewetrust entire post thoroughly....still looking for unaltered sleeves with Namath on nameplate...

Beantown, I did say that the video is from 1974 and to the best of my knowledge the Jets didn't wear nameplates on there shirts that year. I can't find any early season Jets footage from 1973, I only have weeks 3, and 9 with Jets games, both of which show Namath wearing his cut sleeve. If Namath wore a none cut sleeve in '74 with the lightweight mesh Champion uniform, it is possible he also wore it in 1973, its just about tracking down some footage of him during one of those games.