Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

I think the deciding factor wasn't the money (Miami's offer was much higher, allegedly), it was the no-trade clause.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I would say the DH had something to do with his choice also.

DD
    Bingo!!!!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post
    Fair enough, I feel good for all the Brewers, Astros, Pirates and Cobs fans!
    Don't feel good for the Astros! Just keeps getting worse for us.

First MLB forces us to move to the AL West, then the cherry on top is Pujols is headed to the AL West as well.

Post of the day on facebook from the St. Louis Cards Rally Squirrel account: "Sorry, I got hit by the solid gold car that Pujols just bought as he sped out of town heading out to LA."
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    No sympathy for the Waveland crowd here, though...the game last home run ball that Pujols hit onto the street was recently seen for sale on eBay at $9,500 OBO...the seller, and a fellow ballhawk, paid $100 for it and ripped some poor guy off terribly. When stuff like that is eliminated, the hobby as a whole is better for it.
    These guys are what's truly wrong with the hobby. I hate when people rip off unsuspecting collectors. Some of these "ballhawks" sound a bit like sociopaths. Have they no empathy for the guy who caught the ball?

Pujols may be on top of the world because of his signing. But he's going to need to prove that he can hit outside of the Cards' lineup and in a new league. I'll bet he's up to the task, but how many fans treat you as well as your first city?
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by gnishiyama View Post
    Fans always act like these players should play for less than their value because
    they make millions and if it weren't for the fans..blah blah blah

As Andrew noted Pujols has been one of the most underpaid players for
    years. Good for him for getting his worth and in my opinion, and then
    some to make up for those underpaid years!

And for those always complaining about the plight of their small market
    teams...be thankful for revenue sharing or else there probably wouldn't
    even be a team in your small market city. In my opinion MLB is watered down
    with all these teams and would be better off without some of these teams anyways...
    Pujols Angels products selling out means money for everyone!

I just hope the Cards fans appreciate Pujols for what he did.
    Goh -

1st, you know I respect you so I'm sure you will take this in the vein it is intended...

As far as Gingi's comments (and Gingi - you know I respect you too!) - I will tell you without a doubt - strike or not -the fans DO pay the players salaries. Why do ticket prices go up? To pay for larger payrolls. Why do food prices go up? To pay for larger salaries. Even after LOSING seasons ticket prices go up.

IF the fans of the game could give up their fix (going to the games - buying gear, etc) in unison for even one day - it would make a HUGE dent in the owner's pockets. And if you think the owner's are paying the players out of their 'love for the game', you have another think coming.

The way the system is set up now - in pretty much any sport - is to take as much from the fans as possible and give as little as is possible back. The FANS pay for the stadiums (taxes) yet the OWNERS collect all the revenue? When is the last time an OWNER invested his OWN money into building a new stadium? They would rather threaten moving the team than putting their own money out there... why? Because the FANS will pay it. As fans, do we really get anything back from our investment in the game? Do the owners and players share any profits from a good season by cutting ticket prices, etc? NO - instead they RAISE the prices again.

If the fans only watched the games on TV, the salaries would have to fall as the TV revenues don't cover all the payroll and such...

Speaking of Stadiums - sorry for the segue - The Marlins, Jeffrey L and many Politicos in Miami might be in some hot water with the SEC depending on their findings. How did the bonds (that are tax payer backed) to build the stadium get approved without a vote of the people to approve those bonds and tax increases? Part of the SEC investigation includes looking into what Politicos Jeffrey L and the Marlins contributed to during the most recent elections before the bonds were miraculously approved.

Now, as far as the small market teams - I have to disagree with you Goh. If teams start getting redacted (to beef it back up - you called it watered down) I believe it would get boring real quick when there are only so many teams to watch. Also, as Moneyball has shown, you would also miss out on the potential opportunity for many players to ever even get signed - much less get a shot at the majors. Hell, Pujols wasn't drafted until the 13th round and was the 18th pick in that round to boot.

If you redacted clubs, the draft would shrink as well and guys like Pujols and others might not ever get the chance to show what they have in the Minors - much less on the big stage.

As far as my issue with Pujols - don't claim to want to be with a team forever AND say it's not about the money - and then run for the no-trade contract (which is a non issue anyway as Pujols is a 10-5 guy) with crap tons of money and act like the Cardinals beat you down to take what they offered in the past and act spurned they didn't offer more this time.

He's on the backside of his career and St Louis made him the face of the franchise his second year after winning the ROY which gave him every opportunity to get his charity going (I applaud him for that) as well as market himself as THE guy - not just in St Louis, but a large portion of the mid-west.

As far as the claims of others that we would all leave for the money - I wouldn't LIE about it. Also, I can't say I would absolutely leave for it - some things at my current job are intangibles that I might not get in another position, regardless of the money involved.

And to Frik - Tulo is a guy who told the Rockies and Denver that this is where he wanted to be and signed his deal last year - locking him up until 2020 - at an avg of $15m a year. That contract could be a steal for the Rox AND Tulo is arguably THE guy on the Rockies and he is the ONLY one who stops regularly out back and signs for all the fans. I heard Pujols quit doing that a long time ago and when the Cards have been here in Denver, he hasn't exactly been 'warm' to the fans - even the ones that come from St Louis to watch the team.

Sorry for the rant, but I have a hard time feeling all warm and fuzzy for a guy that says one thing in public and then does another.

I am just wondering if he will even give the Cardinal fans the courtesy of a farewell speech via TV, the Internet or whatever. I do believe he owes the fans that much at lest for all of their support.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    I am just wondering if he will even give the Cardinal fans the courtesy of a farewell speech via TV, the Internet or whatever. I do believe he owes the fans that much at lest for all of their support.
    Here's what some in St. Louis have to say about Pujols:

I hope Pujols gets what he deserves for his act in St. Louis at the WS parade.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    In 2011
    Rangers were 40-17 vs AL West

56-49 vs everyone else
    2013 we add the Astros to the division, so even more wins but so do the angels, oh well. Just hoping this means more chances of getting Pujols autographs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xpress
    You may have misinterpreted when I said

Fans always act like these players should play for less than their value because
    they make millions and if it weren't for the fans..blah blah blah
    that I don't realize we pay the players' salaries. Of course I do. The thing is
    I don't care. When prices go up, I spend less or go to less games. I make
    adjustments in my life rather than complaining. (not saying you are)
    Was I particularly happy that a small portion of my tax dollars went towards
    the new Yankee Stadium? Of course not. However all was forgotten when
    I first visited the new stadium and saw how great it was! I can give
    you a million other things I hate seeing my hard earned tax money
    being spent on than to building a new stadium. Corruption, War...

Bottom line is sports brings to my life a lot of enjoyment and I don't focus
    on things that I can't control like prices and player salaries. If you want to
    go and make a stand against the owners go ahead, it's not for me.

Back to Pujols; good for him that he ultimately did what he thought was
    best for him no matter the reason. This is a business and it was his decision
    to make. He doesn't owe anything except thanking the Cards fan for their
    support through the years, which I expect him to do, just as Cards fan
    should be thankful they got to witness 11 (prime) years of arguably the
    best hitter in history.

As Jeff said the Cardinals will be just fine without him. Even as a Yankees
    fan I see that team has something special and they have passionate fans
    to go along with it.

I hope Pujols gets what he deserves for his act in St. Louis at the WS parade.
    Frikativ: Why do you always sound so bitter in your posts? What exactly
    does Pujols deserve for helping his team win another WS title?

Anyway happy holidays guys. Can't wait for baseball to start!
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Great signing for the Angels. I had a feeling that when Tony Larussa retired Pujols would sign elsewhere and with an American league team, he can stiil play first base and DH or just DH, which in the long run will prolong his career.

Can't wait to see him play in person on the West coast.

Thanks,
    Bobby