Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New Ebay Changes!

Ebay can't "automatically" take payment from anything......ever, and if that policy ever went into effect you'd see ebay membership drop substantially. The new payment policy won't have any effect on shill bidding.

A company would get into trouble if they automatically dipped into someone's bank account or credit count without permission. Some people have automated payments with eBay or their local utilities, but that's only when signed up for that option.

While I agree that will never happen automatic payments that is..... But it is a legally binding contract and if anyone really ever wanted to take something to the next level for breach of contract if someone didnt pay I do believe they could.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Ebay can't "automatically" take payment from anything......ever, and if that policy ever went into effect you'd see ebay membership drop substantially. The new payment policy won't have any effect on shill bidding.
    Don't say eBay can't do anything. They really can do whatever they want and we can't do anything about it.

My point is, if people have to ACTUALLY pay for their item, friends would be less apt to bid on an item because they would actually have to pay for it - thus shill bidding would go down.

Jim

It would never happen.....the general public wouldn't stand for it and it would be the beginning of the end of ebay.

I dont get why the general public wouldnt accept it. God forbid everyone has to pay for what they bid on and win on ebay lol. Ooops sorry I brought up God can not do that. haha ok sorry I know this reply will get deleted.

Angry Re: New Ebay Changes!

Is this part of their new plan?

Dear Joe Edwards,

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.
    PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.
    Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:
    • The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
    • We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.
    Additional hold period
    If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.
    Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.
    We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.
    * This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

Just received payment for an item and now they tell me to ship it and they are holding the payment for 21 days unless positive feedback is received. Might as well be a check or money order. Guess no more "instant" payments. Had something to bid on tonight but dont have the funds now.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Don't say eBay can't do anything. They really can do whatever they want and we can't do anything about it.

My point is, if people have to ACTUALLY pay for their item, friends would be less apt to bid on an item because they would actually have to pay for it - thus shill bidding would go down.

Jim
    No, Ebay cannot do whatever it wants. Ebay does not own the items that are sold on their website. If a buyer wants to pay with a money order, they can do that and Ebay cant do anything about that. From what I understand, is that Ebay will remove the option for money orders/checks on their website and sellers cannot promote those kinds of payments in their auctions.

From a sellers point of view, these changes stick, and are going to be the demise of what Ebay once was.

As for shill bidding, if they go to automatic payments and your "friend" wins your auction, couldn't you just pay your "friend" the money back?

I am glad about the no checks/money orders thing. It's pretty annoying to get a check for $3.99 and to go the extra mile to go to the bank, cash the check, and hold it until it clears. I just got a check for $3.99 for a greeting card I made, and for the hassle, I would have preferred to give it to her for free. I honestly don't care if she sends me a bad check for this amount; I think I'll just go ahead and send it out.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

From what I understand from a fellow seller's conversation with ebay support, they are still allowing payments by money orders to buyers who request them at checkout. I don't think they want to alienate old ebay buyers who only pay with money orders to the point of driving them away. However, sellers are not allowed to mention money orders in their listings, nor give them as a payment option at checkout.

I personally prefer to recieve paypal payments, and the paypal fees are worth it for me not to have to drive to the bank. However, that hold period is ridiculous. Ebay has been way too change happy lately, and I think they are overthinking things. I mean wasn't their enough buyer protection already? If a buyer ever made a paypal claim and the seller didn't have delivery confirmation proof, they would automatically side with the seller. Sadly and greedily, I think ebay/paypal's only reason to create this hold policy is go garner interest on all of that held cash.