Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Banned

Wink Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

Street souvenir vendors outside Wrigley Field aren't going to be happy about Pujols leaving, either. Now they're stuck with a supply of very politically incorrect "Pujols Mows My Lawn" t-shirts.

Dave Miedema

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I'm sure it looks good on the outside, but this is a small market team. Yes, we fill the stadium, but you'd probably be shocked to know how many of those tickets are discounted or even free. Ad revenues and TV revenues also are small potatoes compared to markets on the coast (just look at that deal the Angels have, which makes the Pujols signing possible). There are revenues from concessions, but little from parking. As you know, merchandising is put into the MLB pot and split 30 ways, and post-season revenues aren't all that great because teams don't get squat unless the series goes beyond the minimum number of games. I'm sure the Cardinals are profitable, but they're not printing money.

And yes, the franchise is worth much more today than it was in '96. But, that's an unrealized capital gain. If the Cardinals gave Pujols a contract leveraged against the team's value, it would be the first franchise in history to base a contract on it's balance sheet instead of its P&L. I don't think there's any way Pujols gets the Angels offer without their new TV deal in place, or he gets the Marlin's offer without the new stadium.

We know this morning that the Cards first offer to Pujols after the season was five years at $26M per. I'm confident that could have been negotiated up to make Albert the highest paid player on an AAV basis. I assume the Cardinals were thinking, "Let's make him the highest-paid player, which is what he deserves, for what should be his last five productive years as a position player; then when he's 37, either negotiate a new deal that works for both sides or let him finish his career in the AL as a DH." If that's the case, I can't say I would have done anything differently. He should be the highest paid, but he shouldn't be making top dollar at 37. I'm firmly on the team's side.

At the same time, I don't blame Albert at all. When I was 31, I was invincible. I'd guess someone with his skills is many times more confident than I was. He probably thinks that he's different, that because he's so great, time won't catch up with him like it did everyone else (who wasn't juiced). He's not thinking like a team owner, who understands Albert's production in his late 30s wouldn't justify the salary and would handcuff the team. He's thinking like a young man with an ego and the ability to hit a baseball like few ever have. Presented with five years at $28 per or 10 years at $25.4 per, I'm sure when I was 31 that I'd be on my way to Anaheim, too. So, I can't call him selfish -- especially knowing how much of his salary will be used to help others. I'll simply acknowledge that, as mature as Albert seems at times, he can't help but think like a 31-year-old.

We won't know for years how this actually will work out. But, I have to wonder if, someday, when he's older and wiser and reflecting back on the past week, Albert might have regrets about not staying in St. Louis five more years as the highest paid player in history.
    Hey Jeff, this marks the end of an era in St.L. Does it also mark the end of the Pujols bat chart?

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    You can't say Pujols had nothing to do with it. Pujols caused issues just because he is Pujols. I'm a firm believer that if Wash had chosen to pitch to Albert in game 6 the Rangers would have been home celebrating a championship instead of playing game 7. Instead because he is Albert and Wash stated he wasn't going to let Albert beat him, so no matter the fact that Albert hadn't done squat he walked him to pitch to Berkman who had been on fire and hits better from the left side of the plate.
    Yes Freese was the hero but without the aura of Albert he wouldn't have had the chance to do what he did in game 6 and 7.
    I do agree. The opposing teams should have pitched to him instead of trying to think too much. Which usually ends up backfiring.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    Hey Jeff, this marks the end of an era in St.L. Does it also mark the end of the Pujols bat chart?
    Yes, it does. I'm a Cardinals collector and I run my site for other Cardinals collectors. I tracked Pujols because he was the focus of so many Cardinals collectors. I admittedly don't know much about McGwire's Oakland bats because my focus is his Cardinals stuff; same will go for Pujols.

Now that he's an Angel, maybe an Angels fan will take up the challenge. Even if I wanted to continue tracking Pujols, I'd have access to very few games. Sure, I could subscribe online, but I have zero interest in watching Angels games just to see what Pujols is using.

In a way, it's almost a relief. The Cardinals-era book now has a beginning, middle and end. If Pujols starts using purple B45 bats with green handle tape and hot pink tar next year, someone else can document it. I'll keep researching everything I can about his finite career in St. Louis.

In my opinion, this piece by Bryan Burwell comes closer to hitting the nail on the head than anything else I've read:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...9832611af.html

Generations from now, when people look back at this, there's only one question they'll ask:

How could the Cardinals have ever allowed Albert Pujols to reach free agency?

Everything else is just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Yes, it does. I'm a Cardinals collector and I run my site for other Cardinals collectors. I tracked Pujols because he was the focus of so many Cardinals collectors. I admittedly don't know much about McGwire's Oakland bats because my focus is his Cardinals stuff; same will go for Pujols.

Now that he's an Angel, maybe an Angels fan will take up the challenge. Even if I wanted to continue tracking Pujols, I'd have access to very few games. Sure, I could subscribe online, but I have zero interest in watching Angels games just to see what Pujols is using.

In a way, it's almost a relief. The Cardinals-era book now has a beginning, middle and end. If Pujols starts using purple B45 bats with green handle tape and hot pink tar next year, someone else can document it. I'll keep researching everything I can about his finite career in St. Louis.
    AMEN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    In my opinion, this piece by Bryan Burwell comes closer to hitting the nail on the head than anything else I've read:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...9832611af.html

Generations from now, when people look back at this, there's only one question they'll ask:

How could the Cardinals have ever allowed Albert Pujols to reach free agency?

Everything else is just noise.

In the beginning, both Albert and Dee Dee were a little skeptical of Moreno's charming ways. "I think anyone is going to be great when they're trying to get you to come to their organization," said Dee Dee Pujols. "But in the short time we've known Arte, he's a great guy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when someone is genuine."

That is an interesting last sentence especially after all the stories about Pujols' agent Dan Lozano came out on Deadspin.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    In the beginning, both Albert and Dee Dee were a little skeptical of Moreno's charming ways. "I think anyone is going to be great when they're trying to get you to come to their organization," said Dee Dee Pujols. "But in the short time we've known Arte, he's a great guy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when someone is genuine."

That is an interesting last sentence especially after all the stories about Pujols' agent Dan Lozano came out on Deadspin.
    This is a very good point; I'm not sure just how good of a judge of character Pujols is. The whole thing with the Angels sounds like an elaborate marketing pitch, comparable with the best in the business.

On a totally different note, I've heard rumors that Albert Pujols may be a little older than he says, like 34. If the Cards had any such knowledge, perhaps that's part of why they wouldn't agree to such a long-term deal.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/09/opinio...ols/index.html

Above is another interesting article. I was as big a fan as the next guy. Someone told me once you may not want to meet your most favored player....they might disappoint you. Well, I met him twice at the Cardinals Witner Warmup and this article paints a 100% accurate picture. Can't wait to hear the stories of Angels collectors in the coming seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    The crying poor comment was how they portrayed their team and city as a smaller market and their constraints on spending. I dont buy it. The market is what you create. ST Louis attendance is robust, advertising is evident, TV rights are owned by the team.
    I was just told that the Angels new television deal earns the Angels $100 million more per season than the Cardinals' TV deal earns the Cards (the Cards' deal is for less than $50M, as I understand it). So, the difference in TV contracts could just about cover the Cardinals' entire team payroll.