Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

Chris,

Hello...I was looking at the above mentioned auction listing and something caught my eye...

http://8dauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx...rca-Early-1970

I started to reference photos of Namath wearing a Champion Mesh Jersey w/ Silk Screened Numbers and Name and noticed that the photos I was coming across, showed Namath in a similar style jersey, however, the jersey Namath is wearing does not have the large white stripe on the sleeves.

The photos I referenced, show that Namath had the large white stripe on the sleeves cut off and in some intances the jersey sleeves appear to be un hemmed, while others show the sleeves appearing to be hemmed. I know these photos aren't the end all be all for Namath, but if someone can find a photo of Namath wearing this style jersey with unaltered sleeves, please post.

Here are some photos depicting Namath with the modified sleeves...
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Re: Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

I have a few slides of Namath vs the Baltimore Colts with the white showing:

I have a few more if interested

Hello...yes, those photos due show the white sleeve stripe material, however, I believe that is a tackle twill, durene jersey....you can tell by the #1 font, which is different than the Champion silk screened jersey...

Bobw, do you have any pics of Namath wearing a jersey that shows the white stripe and the updated #1 that match the auction jersey numbering? The photos you posted look like they might be an earlier style jersey based on the numbering.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hey Guys,

Let me check on this and get back to you either later today or tomorrow at the latest. I have some meetings today but will try to post a reply today if possible.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Chris,
    Any update on this?

Thanks,
    Mike

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
    Chris
    No worries, just checking.

Mike

I'm definitely not an expert at all on Jets jerseys, but I do know that several auction houses have sold Namath and Jets shirts from the 1973-1975 years, but usually have not included style matches via a photo because they're really aren't a lot of photos of Namath out post 1972 for whatever reason. This shirt I believe is from 1973. My research shows that Namath wore a full sleeve in this 'warm weather' jersey during the first part of both the 1973 and 1974 season. Prior to 1973 I cannot find any evidence of Namath wearing a none cut sleeve mesh jersey. In 1974 Champion issued 'warm weather' shirts without nameplates, and had the name on back screened directly on to the jersey.

Also to note during this era the Jets wore as many as 4 different combinations of font and materal during a season, making there a bunch of jerseys in circulation from this era, and also making a style match that much more difficult.

Anyways just my two cents.

Since this is a painting, it would be nice to find the original photograph that was used by the artist.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com