Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Show Me You Chicago Cubs Stuff...

I was taking a look at a similar Chicago Bears post and was able to see some really cool stuff. I thought it'd be fun to see what everyone has out there of the Northsiders...

Banned

Smile Re: Show Me You Chicago Cubs Stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by nevrdiez34 View Post
    I was taking a look at a similar Chicago Bears post and was able to see some really cool stuff. I thought it'd be fun to see what everyone has out there of the Northsiders...
    No camera to post pics, but I have over a dozen GU caps, including 9-11 flag caps of Carlos Zambrano and Dusty Baker; a few GU jerseys, the favorite of which is are 1995 BPs of Bob Patterson and Kent Bottenfield (both received from the players themselves), and several bats, including a 1993 LS Derrick May (my first bat from a player in the 1990s) and a rookie year Rawlings bat of the late Geremi Gonzalez I got in trade from Geremi in exchange for some Venezuelan baseball memorabilia.

Dave Miedema

Re: Show Me You Chicago Cubs Stuff...

Finally figured out how to post pics on here (thanks to some help)....in the first picture from left to right...top row: Ryne Sandberg GU Signed Home Hat, Greg Maddux GU Road Hat, Billy Williams GU Signed Home Hat

2nd Row: Sammy Sosa GU Signed 2002 Road Hat, Andre Dawson GU Signed Home Hat, Kerry Wood 2002 GU Signed Road Hat

3rd Row: Wrigley Field Brick, Leon Durham GU Hat, Ryne Sandberg GU Signed Batting Glove, Wrigley Field Grass and assorted signed baseballs

4th Row: Derrek Lee GU Signed 2005 Road Hat, Kerry Wood GU 2008 Signed Home Hat, Mark Prior GU Signed 2002 Flag Hat

5th Row: Moises Alou GU Signed Home Hat, Mark Grace GU Road Hat, Alfonso Soriano GU 2008 Home Hat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Top Left: Geovany Soto 2008 GU ROY Road Batting Helmet with 2009 GU Locker Room Nameplate
    Top Center: Ryne Sandberg GU Home Batting Helmet
    Top Right: Aramis Ramirez GU Road Batting Helmet
    Middle:Bruce Sutter GU Signed Home Hat, Aramis Ramirez 2008 GU Home Hat, Dave Kingman GU Signed Home Hat
    Below: Geovany Soto GU 2008 ROY Road Hat, Jeff Samardzija 2008 GU Signed Rookie Home Hat, Carlos Zambrano GU 2001 Rookie Road Hat
    Bottom: Mark Grace GU Cleats, Aramis Ramirez 2009 GU Signed Batting Gloves and wrist band, Kerry Wood 2008 GU Belt, Kerry Wood 2008 GU Signed Cleats and 2008 Locker Room Nameplate, Derrek Lee 2005 GU Signed Cleats and 2010 Locker Room Nameplate, Aramis Ramirez 2008 GU Signed Cleats, Mark Prior GU 2003 Cleats

Not Pictured: Aramis Ramirez GU 2008 Home Jersey and Batting Cage Jacket, Jeff Samardzija 2008 GU Signed Road Jersey, Kerry Wood 2008 GU Road Jersey, Aramis Ramirez 2008-2009 Practice/Backup Fielding Glove, Derrek Lee 2005 GU Home Pants, Mark Grace GU Bat, Derrek Lee 2002 GU Signed Bat, Aramis Ramirez 2006 GU Bat, Andre Dawson 1987 GU Signed Bat, Alfonso Soriano 2008 GU Signed Bat, 1969 Cubs Team Signed Rawlings Big Stick Bat

Hi folks, first time poster!

I'm a huge Cubs fan and love collecting Cubs game-used stuff, particularly jerseys. I don't go for star players or anything really high-value because I play in a league, on a team with Cubs-like colors, and like to occasionally wear Cubs stuff in practice.

I started out buying stuff that fit my budget and was available, and have since moved "up" to stuff that I really, really like.

For example, the first Cubs jersey I ever acquired was a 1997 #60 Jose Espinal spring training home white shirt. I liked it because of the Jackie Robinson patch, and back then (2002) GU jerseys weren't so easy to find. Only after I got it did I discover something more interesting: the tagging says "20 46-97-2". Turns out that the jersey was worn in '97 by fan favorite #20 Miguel Cairo, and the "2" had been removed for a "6" for the next spring training. Since Espinal has an "i" right in the middle of his name just like Cairo does, they left the I on the back and replaced ony the other letters in ESPINAL!

Other Cubs stuff I've got:

* #40 home 2005 jersey made for Todd Wellemeyer. He was traded in spring training and I don't think anyone actually wore the jersey. It's in great condition, though the Cool Base inserts are just slightly yellowing, and the Cubs logo is dead flat and totally pristine.

* #43 Michael Wuertz 2006? practice jersey. Love the simple unadorned blue look. I bought it because a friend of the family once played for the Cubs and wore #43. I want to get him to sign it -- experienced collectors, is that a no-no? There's zero possiblity of me ever acquiring this player's actual #43, and the shirt I have is only a BP jersey. Safe to get signed?

* #48 Scott Williamson 2005 home. I was a big Joe Borowski fan but his #48 jerseys would be way too big for me. Next-best solution: find another #48 who's my size. Scott Williamson filled the bill. And in 2005 there were no ugly names on the backs -- this might be my favorite Cubs shirt. I never want to let go of it.

* #29 Mike Fontenot 2005 home blue alternate. Might be the first jersey he ever wore in the majors: he made his debut during a doubleheader at home, and they usually switch uniforms between games, but I don't know whether it was the first game or the second where they wore blue. The Cubs mis-labeled it at their convention and I didn't know it was Fontenot's until I did some research. (The Cubs' tag says Danny Klassen, who had 29 in spring training, but the blue alts aren't worn in the spring, and Klassen is too big to fit into this Mike-sized jersey.)

* #37 Angel Guzman 2005 home blue alternate. The Cubs jersey I'd always wanted... my favorite number, well-worn so I can wear it myself in my league games with no reservations, and it's my size (44-46). Guzman later bulked up to a 50, and after 2007 the alts have names on the backs, which I dislike, so it was this *specific* jersey that I'd been looking for. A steal on eBay at $100.

* #15 1992 Chuck Cottier home pinstripes. The classic Cubs style: blue single-layer numbers on the back, button-down. Cottier was the 3B coach and you can tell where the sun was shining because parts of the sleeve are sun-bleached! This is a size 42 and is a little small for me so despite its solid game use, I never wear it. I paid a little too much for it, but this was around 2003 when it didn't look like the Cubs were ever going to have jerseys without names on the backs at home, and I wanted one. Little did I know that they'd be going back to basics in 2005-06.

* #53 and #67 Rich Hill and Micah Hoffpauir 2007 practice jerseys. I thought I might like to try one of these light jerseys out in my own practices, but with The Hoff having come to Japan (where I live), I think I'm going to sell his jersey to a Nippon Ham Fighters fan for a profit. Hill's jersey is a little big for me.

Posting all this, I'm noticing that my collection really is getting too big. If anyone's looking to trade/buy (is this OK, mods?), I might be interested except for #37 and #48 which I never want to let go of.

Let me figure out how to get photos on Flickr and make these things visible!

Wish this thread had the head of steam the bears or one of the other team show off threads has,

Picked up a 1984 Steve Trout uniform. Cost me an arm & a leg but well worth it!!!

Anyone have anything similar in regards to Cubs let me know.

VERY nice pickup Nick! Love the "Rainbow" Trout blue pullover. I've been meaning to add more to this thread as well, perhaps this weekend I'll get around to posting picks of some of my pickups from the last few months.

Im having problems downloading pictures with the pixel limits and not sure how to correct that. Anyway, I have game used bats of some of my favorite 69 Cubbies Willie Smith,Al Spangler,Oscar Gamble,Jimmie Hall,Manny Jimenez,Johnny Hairston. Also a Wrigley Field seat and turnstyle. Just about all of 69 Cubs team on single-signed balls in a nice display case. If I figure out the picture thing, I will get them posted. Always looking for 69 Cub GU bats and equipment.

I was started to catalog everything for insurance purposes, so I have some photos to post. I have a lot more bats to post, but need to take pics:

Mike Fontenot game used cleats:

Jeff Baker game issued cleats:

Geovany Soto game used cleats:

Derek Lee game used cleats:

Carlos Zambrano game issued cleats:

Aramis Ramirez game used cleats:

Shawn Estes game used batting helmet:

Geovany Soto game used chest protector:

I'll post my Chicago Cubs bats when I get a chance.

-Desi

Just a few for now