Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

I think this is absurd while Woodson had an amazing year, Revis was by far the best corner in the NFL this season and without him the Jets would never have gotten near the playoffs. His shutdown ability is the number one reason that the Jets had the NFL's top rated defense. Week after week he shut down some of the best receivers in the league most of whom are pro bowl regulars. Here are the names: Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens (twice), Randy Moss (twice), Reggie Wayne, Chad Ochocinco (twice with one coming in the playoffs), Roddy White, Steve Smith (Panthers), Marques Colston, Antonio Bryant. He gave up zero 100 yard games and if I am correct zero even 80 yard games and two touchdowns all year one of which was an impossible to defend Brady to Moss short pass into the end zone. I know the voting was done before then but Woodson gave up that many TDs in Sunday's game verus the Cards alone. Yet Woodson gets DOUBLE the amount of votes Revis gets, the national media gives the Jets and their players no respect and as a Jets fan I find it disappointing.

Re: o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

Ditto...People will argue that Woodson had more tackles and INT's, which is garbage. No one in this league is more feared than Revis at corner. Below is a nice illustration of his work this year.

Name:  DeionSandersDarrelleRevisComparisonStats.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  22.3 KB

ugh...i suck at posting pics...either too big or too small
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Revis may be a shutdown corner, but he was ranked 51st out of all defensive backs in the league. 54 combined tackles with no sacks. 6 interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown. Zero forced fumbles. He also let the terrible Ted Ginn Jr. burn past him for a 53 yard TD pass on MNF . Charles Woodson had 74 tackles and 2 sacks. 9 interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns. 4 forced fumbles with 1 recovered. The only thing Revis beat him with was 37 passes defended compared to Woodson's 27.

Let me correct myself, he was not the 51st Defensive Back in the league, he was the 51st Defensive Back in the AFC. I think Woodson deserved it more than Revis. Sorry for the mistake!

I'm sure this can be argued either way...personally, I think Revis was the best defender in the NFL this year. I'm also a bit partial being a huge Jets fan. He definitely dropped 3-4 easy INT's this year, so maybe that would have sealed the deal for him? In the larger scope, Woodson is on his way out, and Revis is on his way up. This may be a fairwell to Charles...Revis has plenty of years ahead of him to scoop up a few DPOTY Awards.

Revis is a great corner, which scares me to death considering we face him twice a year.

Revis is a great cornerback, but Woodson had a better year overall defensively.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    Revis may be a shutdown corner, but he was ranked 51st out of all defensive backs in the league. 54 combined tackles with no sacks. 6 interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown. Zero forced fumbles. He also let the terrible Ted Ginn Jr. burn past him for a 53 yard TD pass on MNF . Charles Woodson had 74 tackles and 2 sacks. 9 interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns. 4 forced fumbles with 1 recovered. The only thing Revis beat him with was 37 passes defended compared to Woodson's 27.
    What is this ranking based on? And who created it? Safeties are also defensive backs, how do you compare them with corners, when they have a different role? What is Woodson's ranking in the NFC under this system? Revis and Woodson play different roles Revis is not used to blitz and hence will not accumulate sacks. He is used almost exclusively in one on one matchups against the opponent's top receiver. He does not have as many tackles because the receivers he covers do not catch the ball often and he is not used as a run stuffing corner. He did drop a few INTs but so does every corner and he has less chances for them then most corners because the quarterback is avoiding his side of the field and INTs do not make a great corner. Asante Samuel has I believe 9 ints but he gets them by trying to jump routes and as a result he gets burned for big plays alot. Deltha O'Neal was the same way in the past. I am willing to wager that QBs threw to the receiver being covered by Woodson more, completed more passes for more yards to them than they threw to the ones covered by Revis and that Woodson allowed more big plays especially TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    What is this ranking based on? And who created it? Safeties are also defensive backs, how do you compare them with corners, when they have a different role? What is Woodson's ranking in the NFC under this system? Revis and Woodson play different roles Revis is not used to blitz and hence will not accumulate sacks. He is used almost exclusively in one on one matchups against the opponent's top receiver. He does not have as many tackles because the receivers he covers do not catch the ball often and he is not used as a run stuffing corner. He did drop a few INTs but so does every corner and he has less chances for them then most corners because the quarterback is avoiding his side of the field and INTs do not make a great corner. Asante Samuel has I believe 9 ints but he gets them by trying to jump routes and as a result he gets burned for big plays alot. Deltha O'Neal was the same way in the past. I am willing to wager that QBs threw to the receiver being covered by Woodson more, completed more passes for more yards to them than they threw to the ones covered by Revis and that Woodson allowed more big plays especially TDs.
    nfl.com